feedback on volunteering hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since many of the feedback answers usually say the rest of the application matters, i'll give a brief description of my app before i dive into my question.

- 3.8c GPA, probably 3.75s; for DO schools GPA will be much higher since they use different conversion scale for my school.
- numerous incredible leadership/teaching experience
- summer research experience (not my project and no publication)
- another research (my project, no publication yet as it is currently undergoing until mid July, then I will have a presentation for sure and possible publication, but will be after i have submitted my app, sadly)
- no MCAT yet, took two FLS my highest was 503 NS, i have a month more to go, I know I can reach a 506-508

I understand that many schools put huge emphasis on serving the underserved. I have 115 hrs of volunteering in ER that is in a suburban community; possibly 90 hrs in a hospital research lab, suburban as well (other than my other two research experiences), and over 5 years of church volunteering (volunteer coordinator plans to write me a letter). So I understand i lack the community service they need specially for schools that care about serving the underserved.

my question: I have recently started volunteering with a church organization where we serve dinner in homeless shelters and visit nursing homes. however this organization only goes once every month or so and I've been there only a few times and i have under 15 hours total. Is it worth mentioning?

also,I have volunteer hours from several random clubs where we helped in free clinics but they do not associate with the same organization. Can I just merge all of those hours from different organizations that deal with serving the community under one activity instead of putting them all under the carpet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Great question, I'm glad you asked this because I am teaching pre-diabetes education and it only meets for an hour a week, and I won't have many hours accumulated either. Was wondering the same thing.

+1

my question: I have recently started volunteering with a church organization where we serve dinner in homeless shelters and visit nursing homes. however this organization only goes once every month or so and I've been there only a few times and i have under 15 hours total. Is it worth mentioning?

It is worth mentioning, because it connects with your prior 5 years of church volunteering experience (assuming its the same church). However, I think you will really need to drive home what you learned from it and what your role was.

also,I have volunteer hours from several random clubs where we helped in free clinics but they do not associate with the same organization. Can I just merge all of those hours from different organizations that deal with serving the community under one activity instead of putting them all under the carpet?

I think I read on one of the "Work and activities" threads that you can combine hours from multiple similar experiences. Keep in mind that admissions committees would rather see you be involved in an organization for a long time, rather than doing multiple random volunteering things for a short time.

Great question, I'm glad you asked this because I am teaching pre-diabetes education and it only meets for an hour a week, and I won't have many hours accumulated either. Was wondering the same thing.

I would totally mention this, because it is something you do consistently and I am assuming you've been doing this for quite some time. It would especially help if it connects to another aspect of your application such as your personal statement or another activity. Like I mentioned above it would be vital to detail in your app what you learned, how it helped you, etc.

For example, I did hospice volunteering for only around once per week and in a year's time I did not have that many hours on my app. However, I had a few important and meaning experiences I made sure to highlight

Reactions: 1 user