Feedback revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jingojango

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:

I know this topic has been kicked around endlessly, but have anybody heard anything from BIDMC or Stanford.

It's really getting down to it now and I just haven't gotten much of anything from many programs. Gettin' kind of nervous cuz it seems like in years past people seemed to have gotten lots of woo woo letters, phone calls, or emails.

Now I know letters (or phone calls, emails...) don't mean much in terms of assessing a program's true intents, but surely getting some response is better than none at all, No? Possibly even a way to tell not necessarily where, but rather if a program plans to rank you?

Members don't see this ad.

didn't interview out east, so i can't say for BIDMC. i have received some followup (via email) from stanford that appeared, on the surface, to be positive. i don't know how much stock to put into it though.

most of the followup that i've received from other programs has been rather generic, reading like form letters. i have received a few phone calls though.

i don't know how much stock to put into followups, because it doesn't hurt a program to tell a gaggle of applicants that they were all very impressive and are ranked highly, even as a definite or almost certain match. if everyone in that gaggle then ranks the program number 1, then that means that the program gets its pick of whomever they want. i'm not even sure if you can use followup to gauge a program's interest. i guess if it's personalized (eg handwritten), then it can indicated a higher level of interest than just a form letter.

and yes, i'm just naturally pessimistic. :)

I'm not really sure how to guage response from the programs either, although I did have someone from BID e-mail me and mention they were naming their first-born after me.
I'm not sure if that's a strong sign or not as I've heard a lot of programs are doing that lately.

Actually, I have heard a bit from a few programs, but it was mostly in response to things I asked about on interviews. . . departments, opportunities, research, etc.

Don't sweat it, at this point a lot of programs have already made their match list,
so just sit back,
hit the "certify" button,
and exhale.
It's all up to some guy with an Apple IIe and a pot of coffee to work out our future now.