What are my chances? Program-specific feedback please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChanandlerBong3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your CV is probably fine at all locations. There is however a regional bias in selection which varies based on each program. In general, the further away you are from each program the lower your chances are of interview and acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO...Your list is too long. Also, I'd put other Texas programs not on your list ahead of UT Houston.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd carve out a solid number---surely there are some places on that list you wouldn't want to go. Also, think you're scores make you an acceptable applicant at almost all of them, and a competitive one at most. Can't possibly give you program specific info for each

How many do you guys think is a reasonable number? I'm sitting on about 20 programs and 10 prelims

Well, 31 is too high, and I'd say as long as you think you'll get 8-10 total interviews (with a fair mix of programs) I think that's a good number to shoot for. The match data has a statistic somewhere on the likelihood of matching after ranking a certain number of programs, which you can only do after you've interviewed at one.

Charting the outcomes 2014 says the average contiguous ranks was 14.4. I don't know it that counts ranking 1 program twice for a categorical and advanced spot or not though. The curve shows almost 100% match rate if you rank 11 programs. Given that I would aim to rank at least 11 so I would expect that going on 12-15 interviews would be a good idea. That may be too many but I don't know.

Charting the outcomes 2014 says the average contiguous ranks was 14.4. I don't know it that counts ranking 1 program twice for a categorical and advanced spot or not though. The curve shows almost 100% match rate if you rank 11 programs. Given that I would aim to rank at least 11 so I would expect that going on 12-15 interviews would be a good idea. That may be too many but I don't know.

Correct. You should apply to 20-22 programs of which at least 12 are at your level statistically or below.

You are game for all of those programs listed. Good luck and congrats on your hard work.

Apply to as many programs as you want. That's not the expensive part.

Good applicant. Probably will get interviews at the vast majority of places. Regional bias may prevent you from getting interviews at more distant programs.

I don't know if I'd say that---with those kind of stats you can afford to be semi selective. If there are places you don't think you want to live/train at on that list, do your checkbook a favor

Can i apply as a DO with a 215 on USMLE Step One and not take USMLE Step 2? What are the chances of getting into a program? I see most programs on Freida (especially programs in NYC/NJ area which is where I want to be) do not require USMLE Step 2 and also most in this area were unfilled according to last year match stats. So can I just submit this USMLE Step 1, 1-2 letters of rec from anesthesiologist, and be okay? Or is there no chance at all? What can I do to strengthen my application besides step 2? Thanks these are silly questions I know, I am in a tough situation and am looking for help. Thanks.