feeder programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5h09un

Reaction score
last week, a physician i work with suggested that i try to find some postbacc premed "feeder programs", which i guess are postbacc programs that are basically backdoors into medical schools at the same university.

do these programs exist? if so, what are some examples?

Members don't see this ad.

These are generally high risk, but possibly high yield programs.

If you do well enough, you can turn things around from low stats if you can prove that you can basically handle the course load of a first year medical student.

If you don't do well, you've used a year, have poor-ish grades to show for it, are out a decent chunk of money, and are no better off (and arguably worse off) than when you started.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is some info on the program at The University of North Texas. You’d be guaranteed an interview at their medical school, and they have a high matriculation rate into their own school as well as others (although, you’d have to wait until the application cycle following your MS to reap the benefits at schools not affiliated to where you did your SMP).

Several other schools have these programs as well. Doing well shows competence and ability to perform in medical coursework, which AdComs view favorably.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Be sure to read the fine print on these programs. The one at my school requires you to maintain a 3.0 GPA and then you're guaranteed an interview, not an acceptance. Some of them require a certain GPA but grade on true bell curve around a C, meaning only a small percent of the class will be guaranteed acceptance/interview.

That being said, a handful of my entering class did the school's MHS program first so it's not a total scam. But I think the proportion who were accepted is somewhat small compared to the amount of total students in the MHS program so that's doesn't inspire much confidence.

Agreed with what has already been said especially the gpa stuff mentioned earlier. I went to a Program associated with a DO program that had a guaranteed acceptance. About 25ish of 70 make the required gpa. It’s the only program know of that does still does guaranteed acceptances instead of guaranteed interviews.

Reactions: 1 user