The Weight of SMP Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobills123

Reaction score
How much damage can a 4.0 in an SMP program undo? I know there are many important factors in an application, but will a 4.0 SMP have admissions look past your GPA to where you are now neutral (good SMP balancing out like a low 3.x undergrad) or will it actually appear favorable since you just showed that you can pretty much handle MS1?
For example, I have a 3.1 sGPA in undergrad (classes were taken 6-10 years ago) and a 4.0 SMP gpa that I just finished last spring. Does that gpa get looked at favorably, or do they just negate each other and look at the rest of the app. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're asking for certainty on things that are uncertain. The point of the SMP is that it's your last and best chance to prove yourself. How much the school will weigh it or ignore your old work is someone guessing

Reactions: 1 users
You're asking for certainty on things that are uncertain. The point of the SMP is that it's your last and best chance to prove yourself. How much the school will weigh it or ignore your old work is someone guessing
I figured as much but was curious if there was a general consensus. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
How much damage can a 4.0 in an SMP program undo? I know there are many important factors in an application, but will a 4.0 SMP have admissions look past your GPA to where you are now neutral (good SMP balancing out like a low 3.x undergrad) or will it actually appear favorable since you just showed that you can pretty much handle MS1?
For example, I have a 3.1 sGPA in undergrad (classes were taken 6-10 years ago) and a 4.0 SMP gpa that I just finished last spring. Does that gpa get looked at favorably, or do they just negate each other and look at the rest of the app. Thanks!
Depends upon the school you apply to, and the rest of your app. There are med schools that reward reinvention, and others that can afford to take a pass on you.

The service loving schools, like SLU and GTown, like reinventors. But so does UCSF and Columbia!

Reactions: 2 users
Had a 2.8 uGPA and a 3.57 SMP gpa. Got into a great school and now a great residency in the exact specialty I said I wanted to go into on this site almost 8 years ago. 😘

Reactions: 4 users
One of the "checkboxes" is that you can prove you are able to handle the rigors of medical education. If you 4.0 a SMP then that box *should* be checked, depending on the program.

But as the others said, there is more going on than just that one box. And school selection will be important.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Had a 2.8 uGPA and a 3.57 SMP gpa. Got into a great school and now a great residency in the exact specialty I said I wanted to go into on this site almost 8 years ago. 😘
I am considering a SMP as my last ditch effort (non-trad, 3 MCAT attempts all <500, employed in medical field since 2018). I've been accepted into a joint SMP for a school that rejected my initial med school app. Would you be willing to discuss your program and what benefits it may offer? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user