Feel like nothing will be okay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I currently have a 3.5 GPA but I feel like my GPA might take a slight hit this semester (I'm applying next Summer). After this Fall semester, the last science course I have to take is Physics 2 but I feel like I'm never going to get accepted if my GPA falls below 3.5. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I believe I can compensate with the exam. I know that URM and GPA is a sensitive topic but is it true that URMs get accepted with SLIGHTLY lower numbers? I busted my butt through undergrad to the detriment of enjoying myself and I just keep having the nagging feeling that I'm not good enough- does anyone else have this nagging feeling?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Getting into medical school is MUCH more than just your gpa/mcat.

Non-trad
3.1 UG/3.65 post-bac
502 mcat

Did you do a DIY post-bacc? I feel like my GPA may be salvageable but I don't know if I have the resources to pay for a post-bacc? At what GPA threshold should I not apply and consider a SMP/Post-bacc (science and cumulative GPA)?
 
No, I did a formal post-bac program at Wash U.

I think you should focus on maintaining your GPA. A 3.5 is definitely something that you can apply with; even slightly lower than 3.5 can still get your foot in the door. Just make sure that you're busting your ass on the MCAT and fulfilling the other social requirements (volunteering, shadowing, etc).

If you really want this, you have to breathe it for the next year and put your social life on the back-burner.