I dont feel like I deserve to be admitted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PickMePickMe!

Reaction score
I feel like I have came down with a case of imposter syndrome... I was accepted into medical school after applying under affirmative action. However I am not a visible minority but my grandparents are metis. I am blonde and pale and am worried that people with think I am cheating the system. I did not realize when I was applying that it was for specific admissions pathways.
My gpa is 3.9/4.0, and my mcat was 500. I had decent ECs and my interview was okay. But everywhere I look other applicants who got rejected look better on paper. I dont know if I got in just based on my heritage.
How do I get passed this?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have always culturally identified as Metis, then I don't think you should feel bad. There are fair Natives. Metis are recognized as mixed indigenous and French heritage. But if you haven't really ever identified as Metis by ethnicity or heritage, then that's not the greatest thing to do.

I wouldn't really consider it in the context of your grades, but rather applying as a minority without ever really identifying as a minority.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I have came down with a case of imposter syndrome... I was accepted into medical school after applying under affirmative action. However I am not a visible minority but my grandparents are metis. I am blonde and pale and am worried that people with think I am cheating the system. I did not realize when I was applying that it was for specific admissions pathways.
My gpa is 3.9/4.0, and my mcat was 500. I had decent ECs and my interview was okay. But everywhere I look other applicants who got rejected look better on paper. I dont know if I got in just based on my heritage.
How do I get passed this?

Therapy can help with the imposter syndrome. The voices telling you that you don't deserve to be where you are or that you're not good enough will likely never go away, but a therapist may be able to guide you into quieting the voices. In regards to the rest of your post, who cares what people think, how will they know, what's done is done. Be the best learner you can be from here on out. Just focus on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Therapy can help with the imposter syndrome. The voices telling you that you don't deserve to be where you are or that you're not good enough will likely never go away, but a therapist may be able to guide you into quieting the voices. In regards to the rest of your post, who cares what people think, how will they know, what's done is done. Be the best learner you can be from here on out. Just focus on that.
I have to disagree with this. OP SHOULD feel bad if they don't identify as Native Metis, but "used" it to appear more diverse. Native communities, in particular, have an issue with people being Pretendians for access to select scholarships, diversity programs, or admissions. This is one of the reasons why we're the only racial group that has blood quantums like animals (cows and sheep).

I couldn't care less if OP is 1/16 Native, but if they do not IDENTIFY as Native, then that's an awful thing to do. We have select access to these things for a reason, because we come from some of the most impoverished and disadvantaged communities in the country (not to mention being underrepresented everywhere in our own homeland, generational trauma, etc etc etc.)

Last edited:
I have to disagree with this. OP SHOULD feel bad if they don't identify as Native Metis, but "used" it to appear more diverse. Native communities, in particular, have an issue with people being Pretendians for access to select scholarships, diversity programs, or admissions. This is one of the reasons why we're the only racial group that has blood quantums like animals (cows and sheep).

I couldn't care less if OP is 1/16 Native, but if they do not IDENTIFY as Native, then that's an awful thing to do. We have select access to these things for a reason, because we come from some of the most impoverished and disadvantaged communities in the country (not to mention being underrepresented everywhere in our own homeland, generational trauma, etc etc etc.)

I didn't understand the OPs post in that way.

Why would anyone in your future class know you applied as Métis? Even you don’t know if that’s why you got in...you still had to have the grades, the GPA and get through the interview, which you did.

Imposter syndrome is real, and it can keep you from being successful if you let it. I suggest seeing a therapist to help you through this.

Reactions: 1 users