Feeling a little hopeless. Positive but realistic feedback about getting in?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shedent2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately...My statistics are veerrrryyyyy low. I would really appreciate some feedback about my chances on getting in...and where I should apply. I've been feeling pretty terrible about my chances, so I'm hoping for at least a little positive news please*

oGPA: 3.00
sGPA: 2.3 :scared::mad::eek::(:scared::mad::(:eek:

AA/TS/PA: 20/20/22

Shadowing: +80 hours, 2 years of Alzheimer's research, clubs, scholarships, community service...etc...just like everyone else applying

I was also a college athlete.

PLEASE HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Your science GPA is too low.

I highly doubt that you will get into any school as the general cut off seems to be about 2.75 for both science and cumulative GPA.

Sorry to break the bad news :(

Take another year of science classes (get all A's), and you'll be ready for next cycle.

Best of luck! ;)

Apply anyway...if you have the money to spend. You never know. You seem like you got a lot of other stuff to supplement your low GPA. Plus your DAT scores are pretty bomb, proving that you are a capable student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply anyway...if you have the money to spend. You never know. You seem like you got a lot of other stuff to supplement your low GPA. Plus your DAT scores are pretty bomb, proving that you are a capable student.

I honestly think that would be a fruitless way to spend money.

Yes, her DAT scores are great, and her cGPA is acceptable.

However, her science GPA is just too low; I have never heard of anyone getting an interview with a 2.3 sGPA. Furthermore, any school that I have investigated thoroughly (about 15 schools) put their sGPA cut off at 2.75. This means that her application will not even be looked at no matter how good her DAT scores, ECs, and LORs are.

Quite possibly I'm wrong, but does anyone else agree with my suggestion: Take 1 year of science classes and then apply.

Last edited:
Dude, your Gpa isnt everything. Although its pretty low, I think you have a shot. You have great DAT scores, your involved, now all you have to do is WOW them in the interview. Im pretty sure they understand the stress of being an athlete while in school.

Dont worry

ace remaining classes, extend undergrad if you can to raise sgpa, if gpa still lower than 3.1, do post-bac, decent dat scores. due to low scgpa, u may apply but chances of u gettin an interview are slim.

I agree with Mr. Beans, the chance of the school even considering your app is pretty low, raise your GPA over the next year and apply then. Good luck

ace remaining classes, extend undergrad if you can to raise sgpa, if gpa still lower than 3.1, do post-bac, decent dat scores. due to low scgpa, u may apply but chances of u gettin an interview are slim.

I agree. Honestly, I would NOT apply this cycle. You're almost guaranteed to be rejected from every school you apply to. Yes, your DAT scores are pretty good, but they aren't nearly good enough to offset your GPA. The best thing to do is take more science classes and do well in them to show that whatever happened to cause your GPA to be so low (stress, lack of motivation, lack of ability, etc) is no longer a factor. Applying this cycle would be a complete waste of money.

Dude, your Gpa isnt everything. Although its pretty low, I think you have a shot. You have great DAT scores, your involved, now all you have to do is WOW them in the interview. Im pretty sure they understand the stress of being an athlete while in school.

Dont worry
A 2.3sGPA is something to be worried about. Like Tank and many others have said, you probably shouldn't apply this upcoming cycle. A lot of schools have cutoffs at around 2.7. Enroll in a post-bac to bring that sGPA to at least a 3.0. Your DATs and ECs are rock solid but they still won't be able to make up for a low GPA.

Unfortunately...My statistics are veerrrryyyyy low. I would really appreciate some feedback about my chances on getting in...and where I should apply. I've been feeling pretty terrible about my chances, so I'm hoping for at least a little positive news please*

Shadowing: +80 hours, 2 years of Alzheimer's research, clubs, scholarships, community service...etc...just like everyone else applying

PLEASE HELP!

your situation is not very unique. Some people around SND have similar stats and with time, effort, and huge amount of $$$ spent, they eventually got in.

It is my opinion, that if you apply this cycle, you will not get in. You have good DAT but a horrendous GPA. I have talked to many dental schools and they all seem to favor science GPA just as much as overall GPA (and I am actually referring to science GPA, not BCP). Statistically speaking, if you apply this cycle, your basically throwing money away that you could have used in something more usefull (like fixing your GPA or doing masters program)

Your better off to save your money and not apply this and even next cycle and try to work out a plan to improve your GPA. If that was my GPA, I would do a 2-year intensive informal post-bacc and take a boat load of upper level science and get nothing less than a 4.0 in each course. Its going to cost you A LOT of $$$ and effort, but if dentistry is what you really want, this is one option.

Another option that many SDNers seem to like is to obtain a master's program in some biological science area. Doing well in this option also opens the door to dental schools. I can't personally recommend this option cause I didn't do it, I don't know much about it. I hope some folks who went with this route can share their experiences

I do have 1 bit of bad news for ya, if you decide to do post-bacc or masters, its going to be approx 2 years. By then, your DAT will have expired, meaning you'll have to do a retake :(

I agree with dentalworks. I had similar stats applying first time around. No interviews haha. If you're done with your undergrad and those are your final stats, I would say save your money and apply to masters/post-bacc programs. Chances are very slim that you'll get any interviews. As to what dentalworks said about your dat scores expiring, look into the schools that you're applying to. I asked dean at UMDNJ about dat scores expiring if I apply too late and he said not to worry about that. It's not a big deal to them. This might be the case in other schools as well. Best of luck!

PLEASE HELP!

I agree with other SDNers. 2.3 science GPA will probably hold you to get an interview. Try to take science classes you did it poorly. You may also upper level bio courses to improve it. Be sure that at least your science GPA is 3.0. By this way your overall GPA will increase too. I think that you are pretty much set for applying after you will solve your GPA issue. Also try to avoid so many schools with your current GPA. Applying is also very costly and you may wait a year to apply with much more competitive status.

Wow, guys! Thank you for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it. I decided to wait to send out transcripts, so the rest of my grades would come through. I raised the sGPA to a 2.7 and the oGPA to a 3.1....I know its still on the brink of not being considered, but it is definitely a step above what it use to be. Since applying is expensive....should I still hold off on applying??!?!?!?1

20TS/20AA/22PAT

Get like 500 hours of community dental service and apply to ASDOH. You'll be set.

you did well on your dat score but how the **** did you end up with that sort of gpa? i really dont understand.......

i know there is really no excuse, but i think a lot of it was due to being a D1 athlete at UCLA. it took up the majority of my time....aka ALL of my time...which didnt help while being a math major. BUT...i know its my fault for letting it get that low...i should have quit the team before it got that bad...but i guess thats all hindsight now :(

Last edited:
You know your stuff, as shown by the DAT. I would suggest trying to get into a Post-bac, like a masters of biomedical science or something similar, and KILLING it.

Then you should be set for dental school. Do something fast though since DAT scores are only valid for 3 years.