Feeling after an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYK33AllDay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just had my first interview and I thought that I answered the questions to the best of my abilities. I never really got stumped or didn't know what to say to a question. But the interviewers showed very little emotion, the only time I saw them showing emotion towards me was like twice the whole interview. I'm assuming it's a tactic used by them to try and keep it professional.

The interview was about 10 questions long and lasted around 25 minutes. Just wondering how others felt after their first interview, I don't think it went poorly, but then again I don't know how to feel. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to post interview. 95% of people feel the same way.
#byecarmelo

Reactions: 8 users
So I just had my first interview and I thought that I answered the questions to the best of my abilities. I never really got stumped or didn't know what to say to a question. But the interviewers showed very little emotion, the only time I saw them showing emotion towards me was like twice the whole interview. I'm assuming it's a tactic used by them to try and keep it professional.

The interview was about 10 questions long and lasted around 25 minutes. Just wondering how others felt after their first interview, I don't think it went poorly, but then again I don't know how to feel. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Where was the interview? That might help people respond because I know Iowa used to (and maybe still does) forbid their interviewers from reacting in any way to answers given. They weren't able to respond to or even clarify questions. It was audio recorded and the interviewers were only there to ask the questions, wait for you to respond and then ask the next one.

Members don't see this ad :)

I felt exactly the same way last week... One of my interviewers was super relaxed, cracking jokes, and showing lots of emotion to my responses (to the point where it was unprofessional at times), but the other was the polar opposite. He was stern and at times challenging my response, so I was conflicted on how the interview really went. I initially thought it went well, but I overthink it everyday lol. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Where was the interview? That might help people respond because I know Iowa used to (and maybe still does) forbid their interviewers from reacting in any way to answers given. They weren't able to respond to or even clarify questions. It was audio recorded and the interviewers were only there to ask the questions, wait for you to respond and then ask the next one.
It was at UF

I wouldn't sweat it. Goro's guide to interviews says that they are told not to give any hints or otherwise give false reassurances.

Both of my interviews were like that. One of them was one on one, the interviewer showed no emotion. Other one was 2 on 1, one showed some emotion, other one was very stiff.
And the double-standard here is hilarious @Goro . You said you reject applicants who show no emotion or who are otherwise "flat", yet the interviewer is allowed to do it? What a load of horse-****. How are we expected to show emotion if you guys are also stiff. Pfft.

I felt the same way after one of my interviews, I think the best thing you can do is just realize its out of your hands now, and just try and relax.

For me, my interviews were so different. One MMI was intense, with hard questions and the profs showed no emotion. I didnt know what to really say or expect from them. I walked away not really liking the school, because it felt cold due to the interview type. Two more were relaxed where we talked about my life and what drives/ motivates me as a person. Last one was very detailed - they ask you what you learned in specific courses from first year and you really have to hold a conversation about very detailed topics (though at this school, I hear some interviewees talk about sports and its really luck of the draw).

No advice, but dont be too hard on yourself. Every school has its unique culture and just try your best to be yourself, regardless of their lack of emotion.

I think it's safe to say no matter how well/poorly you think you did, you really won't know until you get accepted or rejected. There are numerous examples where people think they aced the interview and then they got rejected, or people think they did absolutely terrible but ended up being accepted.

first interview of cycle and I felt like I bombed it and had no hope.

Dec 1 at 9 am- call of acceptance.

Pre-health students are way too hard on themselves.

Reactions: 6 users