Feeling cheated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well looks like we found the guy that has to drag politics into everything.
yup - glad you could make that conclusion after you being a member for like 2 days and responding to one of my posts

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Well PatoPharm knows everything about saturation since he apparently hasn't started school yet or even been accepted anywhere so instead all he does is talk to all the DMs he has personal connections with.

While I'm here in the Midwest getting nonstop emails about shifts that need filled because we are short on pharmacists. It's literally everyday.

I live in a very "saturated" northeastern city and we had tons of extra shifts when I floated as well. I was getting texts/emails begging me to work them.

Reactions: 1 user
not to go off topic - but in order to get a government job you have to release your tax returns? hmmm.. Last time I checked the president was a government job

Yep, but not a civil service job, it's a Plum Book job (Plum Book), so is not subject to the usual reporting requirements. A cursory check is done with the NACLC, but your actual ones get transmitted to your HR and oversight for Public Trust or Security Clearance jobs (separate but related processes).

Regarding Trump, yes, I'm absolutely certain that EOP and the other quiet offices have his tax return as did both Bushes, Clinton, and Obama due to a change Bush Sr. made. As they would say, what they declare and what they actually earn are two very different things, especially when Lichtenstein, Cayman, and Luxembourg are part of the return. Plum Book employees are not subject to the same ethics laws as the Civil Service. They can take lobbies, take junkets, trade on nonpublic information, and other things that made sense back in Grover Cleveland's time, but not now. If you're going to be corrupt, it's much more lucrative to get elected first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well PatoPharm knows everything about saturation since he apparently hasn't started school yet or even been accepted anywhere so instead all he does is talk to all the DMs he has personal connections with.

While I'm here in the Midwest getting nonstop emails about shifts that need filled because we are short on pharmacists. It's literally everyday.

Hello..

I would love to know which state in the Midwest.

Thanks

Hello..

I would love to know which state in the Midwest.

Thanks

Sorry that's all I ever give out in regards to my location. I'm sure if you call around you could get answers.

I live in Atlanta and just had to visit my advisor as I got a FOURTH lucrative internship and don't know which to drop that would be best for my career goals.

Im not a fool. I know there is a huge saturation, hence why I haven't left retail, but I have gotten a second clinical offer as an intern, not a tech, in the Atlanta market.

I work two positions equaling roughly 20 hours a week, don't bust my ass for grade (which I probably should now that I'm seriously considering a residency) and still have a social life.

My point being, seeing PA2Pharm bitch and moan and degrade a field he left baffles me when I simply put some effort (not an exuberant amount) and have multiple offers as an intern which will lead me to offers post graduation.

My point being, seeing PA2Pharm bitch and moan and degrade a field he left baffles me when I simply put some effort (not an exuberant amount) and have multiple offers as an intern which will lead me to offers post graduation.

Some people just don't wanna hustle.

Members don't see this ad :)
@bulldog1123 didn't you say before that you basically had to outcompete hundreds of other pharmacy students to get that first hospital internship position?

That is exactly the point I've been making -- that it takes (and will take in the future) an excessive amount of effort, hustling, and out-competing other pharmacists to find jobs. And even though I used to say that it would take lots of effort to find a non-BFE job, it looks like even getting a pharmacist job in BFE GA is going to take a lot of hustling. I randomly did a job search on Walgreens' website for pharmacist jobs in GA, and here are the results:

Search our Job Opportunities at WALGREENS

I'm not sure if the link loads correctly, but there are literally only FIVE jobs in the entire state of GA for pharmacists currently posted by Walgreens, and only one of them is in a non-BFE locale. Even more disturbing, I performed the same search for pharmacist jobs in AL, and not a single job listing appeared (just a handful of intern jobs).

Even CVS's job market in GA is similarly saturated, and that's supposedly the worst company to work for in the entire pharmacy profession.

@owlegrad isn't it the other way around? I left pharmacy school because the job market sucked and every objective indicator suggests it will only get worse. Obviously, job search results like the one I performed above reaffirm my decision to leave pharmacy school to have been a good one.

@bulldog1123 didn't you say before that you basically had to outcompete hundreds of other pharmacy students to get that first hospital internship position?

That is exactly the point I've been making -- that it takes (and will take in the future) an excessive amount of effort, hustling, and out-competing other pharmacists to find jobs. And even though I used to say that it would take lots of effort to find a non-BFE job, it looks like even getting a pharmacist job in BFE GA is going to take a lot of hustling. I randomly did a job search on Walgreens' website for pharmacist jobs in GA, and here are the results:

Search our Job Opportunities at WALGREENS

I'm not sure if the link loads correctly, but there are literally only FIVE jobs in the entire state of GA for pharmacists currently posted by Walgreens, and only one of them is in a non-BFE locale. Even more disturbing, I performed the same search for pharmacist jobs in AL, and not a single job listing appeared (just a handful of intern jobs).

Even CVS's job market in GA is similarly saturated, and that's supposedly the worst company to work for in the entire pharmacy profession.

@owlegrad isn't it the other way around? I left pharmacy school because the job market sucked and every objective indicator suggests it will only get worse. Obviously, job search results like the one I performed above reaffirm my decision to leave pharmacy school to have been a good one.

I don't know why you keep justifying your position based on online job offers. That's not the only way companies hire.

Also, Georgia didn't look so hot either for PA/AA. Maybe you need to move on from that career too.

Speaking of careers, are you still applying to schools? I feel like acceptance letters would be arriving for next year.

I don't know why you keep justifying your position based on online job offers. That's not the only way companies hire.

Also, Georgia didn't look so hot either for PA/AA. Maybe you need to move on from that career too.

Speaking of careers, are you still applying to schools? I feel like acceptance letters would be arriving for next year.

I'm not going to talk anymore about my own personal career plans because the risk of getting doxxed becomes too substantial. Think about it... even though there are plenty of people who have left pharmacy school for X career, how many people have left AA school for pharmacy school, and left pharmacy school for X career?

When you say that companies don't just hire pharmacists via online job listings, what other hiring methods are you referring to? Hiring student interns after they graduate from pharmacy school having worked for the company while in school?

That's all nice and everything, but what about companies like Publix, who had to simply fire 90% of their GA-based interns in May? I remember posting about it on here before (other posters who have worked with Publix and are familiar with the situation backed me up on it), and people told me that the advantage of working as an intern for a chain is that the experience "counts" to other pharmacy chains, so it's not always a big deal if a company can't provide jobs for the majority of their own interns.

Ok, but what about in situations where the other chains also aren't able to hire these pharmacists because they don't have job openings either? Then what? Is it time to move to a different state because they weren't one of the top 5% students in their class and therefore didn't do what they should've known it would take to get a job?

And even if Walgreens was planning on hiring their current student interns to work as pharmacists for them in the future, that doesn't help pharmacists who need jobs now (or pharmacists who didn't work as student interns for Walgreens).

I will reiterate: Walgreens doesn't have a single pharmacist job listed for the entire state of Alabama (yes, that Alabama). The only way this state of circumstances can be true is if the job market truly sucks.

... What do you mean that GA doesn't look hot for AAs/PAs? There are currently AA positions posted for desirable Atlanta areas as well as medium-sized and small cities (more than the number of pharmacist positions currently posted by CVS and Walgreens combined), and there is a literal ****-ton of jobs posted for general PAs all over GA. If you throw CRNA jobs into the mix, it is astounding how many job listings there are throughout GA, and it really puts into perspective just how bad the job market for pharmacists is if states with as many rural, undesirable areas as GA and AL are laughably close to having zero retail jobs.

I'm not going to talk anymore about my own personal career plans because the risk of getting doxxed becomes too substantial. Think about it... even though there are plenty of people who have left pharmacy school for X career, how many people have left AA school for pharmacy school, and left pharmacy school for X career?

When you say that companies don't just hire pharmacists via online job listings, what other hiring methods are you referring to? Hiring student interns after they graduate from pharmacy school having worked for the company while in school?

That's all nice and everything, but what about companies like Publix, who had to simply fire 90% of their GA-based interns in May? I remember posting about it on here before (other posters who have worked with Publix and are familiar with the situation backed me up on it), and people told me that the advantage of working as an intern for a chain is that the experience "counts" to other pharmacy chains, so it's not always a big deal if a company can't provide jobs for the majority of their own interns.

Ok, but what about in situations where the other chains also aren't able to hire these pharmacists because they don't have job openings either? Then what? Is it time to move to a different state because they weren't one of the top 5% students in their class and therefore didn't do what they should've known it would take to get a job?

And even if Walgreens was planning on hiring their current student interns to work as pharmacists for them in the future, that doesn't help pharmacists who need jobs now (or pharmacists who didn't work as student interns for Walgreens).

I will reiterate: Walgreens doesn't have a single pharmacist job listed for the entire state of Alabama (yes, that Alabama). The only way this state of circumstances can be true is if the job market truly sucks.

... What do you mean that GA doesn't look hot for AAs/PAs? There are currently AA positions posted for desirable Atlanta areas as well as medium-sized and small cities (more than the number of pharmacist positions currently posted by CVS and Walgreens combined), and there is a literal ****-ton of jobs posted for general PAs all over GA.

I did a search and I didn't see hundreds of jobs.

Yes interns are the high majority of hires Walgreens makes. They also get most of their applications through job fairs at colleges.

I guess I'm concerned you aren't going to get into a program this up coming semester either. What's the plan then? (Other then coming in here to bash people that have degrees and jobs). At what point do you move on and find a different career?

... What do you mean that GA doesn't look hot for AAs/PAs? There are currently AA positions posted for desirable Atlanta areas as well as medium-sized and small cities (more than the number of pharmacist positions currently posted by CVS and Walgreens combined), and there is a literal ****-ton of jobs posted for general PAs all over GA. If you throw CRNA jobs into the mix, it is astounding how many job listings there are throughout GA, and it really puts into perspective just how bad the job market for pharmacists is if states with as many rural, undesirable areas as GA and AL are laughably close to having zero retail jobs.

I'm also curious, what year of pharmacy school would you be in had you did pharmacy in the very beginning and stuck with it?

Wow, this is ridiculous in some parts of the country. Why are you guys doing this to yourselves lol My paychecks in CA right now with OT are over 6k biweekly take home ( i’ll wait for the but houses are 2.2 million tho) lol i’ll still take 12k home monthly and 18k on months we get paid 3x a month. I’m good with not living in a place where mansions are 200k apparently. My hourly rate is high so that helps (mid 70’s/hr). Hoping to get close to $80/hr and next reviews.

Seems like a lot of open shifts at CVS in the San Joaquin Valley (circa 2016): imgur.com/a/IrBH6

Probably same deal north of the Bay Area and Sacramento

Seems like a lot of open shifts at CVS in the San Joaquin Valley (circa 2016): imgur.com/a/IrBH6

the image is misleading. lots of open shifts does not mean job opening. upper management reduced the hiring of floaters, that's why you have more shifts open. there are a lot of applicants, new grads already passed exams and licensed and needing jobs. but they're not hiring......... they would rather pay the people they already have overtime to pick up extra shifts, then to hire more staffs and pay full time benefits (healthcare, 401k, etc).... otherwise they could easily hire new grads to float and fill the shifts. but they don't want to..... similarly, they prefer hiring a lot of part time techs, rather than hiring a number of full time techs and having to provide them full time benefits.

Reactions: 1 users
the image is misleading. lots of open shifts does not mean job opening. upper management reduced the hiring of floaters, that's why you have more shifts open. there are a lot of applicants, new grads already passed exams and licensed and needing jobs. but they're not hiring......... they would rather pay the people they already have overtime to pick up extra shifts, then to hire more staffs and pay full time benefits (healthcare, 401k, etc).... otherwise they could easily hire new grads to float and fill the shifts. but they don't want to..... similarly, they prefer hiring a lot of part time techs, rather than hiring a number of full time techs and having to provide them full time benefits.
Bingo. Hiring is slowing down. They’re just trying to find fillers who can cover these shifts. Not looking for people to work full time in one store. In my district all new grads will be floating to cover these.

@bulldog1123
The following edit would make your statement true:
"my decision to leave pharmacy school once I was accepted to a program in a better field to have been a good one.

Your infinite justifications aside, life comes at you fast, and you've been hemorrhaging time hard for a while now.
Sure there's people who fool themselves and others by saying "it's never too late."

It might never be "too late", but the sun certainly sets on people.
You really need to find a better use for your time.

Wow, this is ridiculous in some parts of the country. Why are you guys doing this to yourselves lol My paychecks in CA right now with OT are over 6k biweekly take home ( i’ll wait for the but houses are 2.2 million tho) lol i’ll still take 12k home monthly and 18k on months we get paid 3x a month. I’m good with not living in a place where mansions are 200k apparently. My hourly rate is high so that helps (mid 70’s/hr). Hoping to get close to $80/hr and next reviews.

FYI you're using the word "take home" incorrectly.

Take home means after taxes.

No way you make $6k/biweekly after taxes. You'd have to gross over $250k/year for that in California. You're not doing that as a pharmacist. Even in the People's Republic.

No way you make $6k/biweekly after taxes. You'd have to gross over $250k/year for that in California. You're not doing that as a pharmacist. Even in the People's Republic.

Yeah, something isn't being mentioned... I make 70/hr, my largest paycheck yet had just under 110 hours, and even with CA overtime (time and a half for anything over 40/week), my take-home was just over 5K. You must have a wizard for an accountant lol.

I believe him, if you do 40h OT biweekly in CA, you can get over $6k/2 weeks. I know because I was him years ago. My largest paycheck was over 7k net in 2 weeks years ago. But, this is a no life situation and he works in a sh1t hole area.

Nowadays, I do my 40h/w and break 200k+ with investments. No more OT! Enjoying life in San Diego :-D

The following edit would make your statement true:
"my decision to leave pharmacy school once I was accepted to a program in a better field to have been a good one.

Your infinite justifications aside, life comes at you fast, and you've been hemorrhaging time hard for a while now.
Sure there's people who fool themselves and others by saying "it's never too late."

It might never be "too late", but the sun certainly sets on people.
You really need to find a better use for your time.

I agree that I have wasted too much time. A lot of people would say it really is too late to move on to something else and enroll in yet another program, but for someone who isn't married and who doesn't have any kids, why would it actually be too late? That's what I don't understand. Two years are going to pass regardless of what I do. I'm curious to know what you mean when you say the sun "sets" on people, even when it's otherwise not too late to move on to something better

I did a search and I didn't see hundreds of jobs.

Yes interns are the high majority of hires Walgreens makes. They also get most of their applications through job fairs at colleges.

I guess I'm concerned you aren't going to get into a program this up coming semester either. What's the plan then? (Other then coming in here to bash people that have degrees and jobs). At what point do you move on and find a different career?

There is no such thing as not being able to get into a program; I have multiple back-up plans, and at least one of them is guaranteed to work out (don't want to give out too much info but this probably makes it kind of obvious).

So if Walgreens hires the majority of its new pharmacists from its intern pool and at job fairs, what about pharmacists who need to find during the year who never worked for Walgreens and who aren't in school anymore?

Also, if I hadn't left pharmacy school, I would be a P2 right now. If I had started PA school at the same time I had started pharmacy school, I would be graduating this spring or summer, depending on school.

There is no such thing as not being able to get into a program; I have multiple back-up plans, and at least one of them is guaranteed to work out (don't want to give out too much info but this probably makes it kind of obvious).

So if Walgreens hires the majority of its new pharmacists from its intern pool and at job fairs, what about pharmacists who need to find during the year who never worked for Walgreens and who aren't in school anymore?

Also, if I hadn't left pharmacy school, I would be a P2 right now. If I had started PA school at the same time I had started pharmacy school, I would be graduating this spring or summer, depending on school.

My concern with your indecisiveness is the lost opportunity cost. You like to talk about debt of a pharmacist but every year you don't move towards a career your losing a years salary thus I believe after 2 years of not doing anything, you've essentially lost 200k or more which is exactly how much debt you say pharmacists have.

Why exactly are you waiting this long to pick a career? Why did you take this year off?

Also yes a high majority of pharmacists Walgreens hires either came from interns and/or job fairs, at least in my area. I do see the occasional vet pharmacist hired.

Last edited:

Yes I said it clearly. I take home 6k after taxes and I am on pace for 250k this year. If you really need proof I can cut and past a small part of my CVS pay stub if it makes you sleep at night better.

I believe him, if you do 40h OT biweekly in CA, you can get over $6k/2 weeks. I know because I was him years ago. My largest paycheck was over 7k net in 2 weeks years ago. But, this is a no life situation and he works in a sh1t hole area.

Nowadays, I do my 40h/w and break 200k+ with investments. No more OT! Enjoying life in San Diego :-D
Thats what i’m trying to do. Pay loans save and be content with a ****ty 40/week Pharmacist’s salary with investments on side. 40 OT hours and I avg about 20- 25 OT hours per week. So my hourly rate x 1.5 and theres that guys answer.

My concern with your indecisiveness is the lost opportunity cost. You like to talk about debt of a pharmacist but every year you don't move towards a career your losing a years salary thus I believe after 2 years of not doing anything, you've essentially lost 200k or more which is exactly how much debt you say pharmacists have.

Why exactly are you waiting this long to pick a career? Why did you take this year off?

Also yes a high majority of pharmacists Walgreens hires either came from interns and/or job fairs, at least in my area. I do see the occasional vet pharmacist hired.

I didn't intentionally take a year off; you pretty much have to do so because of how application cycles work. The process of pursuing another career is well underway.

Maybe Walgreens is hiring the majority of their pharmacists at career fairs and by hiring from their intern pool, but a year ago, my GA district alone had 5-6 pharmacist job openings, plus many others throughout the rest of GA and AL. The job market has become significantly more saturated within the past year alone, and I would absolutely not have been willing to move to BFE to get a job in this field. Hell, your own employer has even disseminated a corporate memo acknowledging what I've been saying about the job market.

Or going exempt on taxes. I do know RNs that do that on big OT pay periods or when they’re putting together a down payment for a house.

No, my point is not exactly the point you're making. Like I stated in my post, I did not go any excessive hustling. The first internship came from an email sent to all the schools and I simply applied for it. You're right though about that one, I did beat out quiet a bit of students for it. But remember, its a new program and it was at Kaiser. Its a company many people fight for. Thats like saying a hundred people applied for Google. The volume is because its a company many people want to work for.

My next offers simply came from me making an impression at my IPPE rotations. I didnt hustle, or kiss ass, or put in an excessive amount of effort. I simply walked in on time, did my work, when it was completed, asked if I could do anything else, and simply showed I was competent and had knowledge. Pretty basic stuff. Its the same thing any other field would expect and look for from their interns that they would want to hire. Being from the program you were, I can understand how this route would have been tough for you, but its how many students land quality positions. Do you damn job at your IPPEs, be competent, and treat it like a interview.

My CVS district manager is already giving me pointers and guidance on how to land a retail position in the Atlanta suburb area.

So no, I'm walking proof and I see proof every day from students at my school that Atlanta and Georgia isnt a lost cause. Is it tough? Yes. Is it saturated? yes. But its no where near what you play it out to be.

I love how even this thread has become derailed again to a PA2Pharm discussion.

Yeah, something isn't being mentioned... I make 70/hr, my largest paycheck yet had just under 110 hours, and even with CA overtime (time and a half for anything over 40/week), my take-home was just over 5K. You must have a wizard for an accountant lol.

He's probably like that pharmacist that used to be on here, who was bragging about how he made $200,000/yr as a pharmacist, and acted like everybody else who wasn't was a lazy slacker....then later it turned out that he had investment properties adding to that income that he neglected to mention.

Meh, and a million for a house that costs 200k elsewhere

This is for BFE California though where most decent houses are in the $200k range. Near SD, LA/OC, and SF, you're looking at the triple whammy of low $60's an hour, lack of available hours/and shifts due to the saturation, and astronomical housing costs.

This is for BFE California though where most decent houses are in the $200k range. Near SD, LA/OC, and SF, you're looking at the triple whammy of low $60's an hour, lack of available hours/and shifts due to the saturation, and astronomical housing costs.
The longer you are at BFE store, the lower your chance to ever going back to civilization. You are going to be on a wait list longer than harvey weinstein victims.

He's probably like that pharmacist that used to be on here, who was bragging about how he made $200,000/yr as a pharmacist, and acted like everybody else who wasn't was a lazy slacker....then later it turned out that he had investment properties adding to that income that he neglected to mention.
Mines all from working and I can care less what you guys do lol that is your choice. Doesn’t make you lazy. I love money and chose to make a lot. Do I Sacrifice free time yeah but I got goals right now that i’m trying to reach before my market get’s F’d up with new grads. But yeah i’m on pace for 250k. I’ve paid about 75k in taxes so far this year so i’m not on tax exempt. I just work a lot and I chose to.

Ok I'll check the math--->

6GodPharm makes $75/hr and works a base of 80 hours biweekly = $6000 gross
6GodPharm makes 1.5x for OT in the People's Republic at $112.50/hr x 40 hours biweekly = $4500 gross
Total $10500 gross biweekly

Hourly Paycheck Calculator | Hourly Calculator | Paycheck City

At Federal 1, State 1, no health insurance and no 401k--->
Net Pay $5,912.09

But it's close enough I guess.

But let's be clear, something like this is only happening in BFE California with $70+ hour wages, 1.5x OT, and someone that can work 60+ hour weeks in legit awful working conditions.

So hats off to you!

Literally there may be only a handful of RPhs that make more than you 6GodPharm, and they are all Directors of Pharmacy at Top 10 hospitals or the CEOS of WAGS, CVS and RAD

Ok I'll check the math--->

6GodPharm makes $75/hr and works a base of 80 hours biweekly = $6000 gross
6GodPharm makes 1.5x for OT in the People's Republic at $112.50/hr x 40 hours biweekly = $4500 gross
Total $10500 gross biweekly

Hourly Paycheck Calculator | Hourly Calculator | Paycheck City

At Federal 1, State 1, no health insurance and no 401k--->
Net Pay $5,912.09

But it's close enough I guess.

But let's be clear, something like this is only happening in BFE California with $70+ hour wages, 1.5x OT, and someone that can work 60+ hour weeks in legit awful working conditions.

So hats off to you!

Literally there may be only a handful of RPhs that make more than you 6GodPharm, and they are all Directors of Pharmacy at Top 10 hospitals or the CEOS of WAGS, CVS and RAD
I also failed to mention I do usually get anywhere from 1-3 hours of DT sometimes a week. We work over 12 hour shifts here!

Also once you reach tax limits on Fed OASDI/EE (tax first 118k you make) then you start to get a extra 6-700 paycheck.

I also failed to mention I do usually get anywhere from 1-3 hours of DT sometimes a week. We work over 12 hour shifts here!

Also once you reach tax limits on Fed OASDI/EE (tax first 118k you make) then you start to get a extra 6-700 paycheck.
FICA line increased to 127,200 this year. good for year for already passing it!