Feeling conflicted about PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrustyRusty

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was finally accepted into a PT program after my second application cycle. In fact, I was admitted into four programs and accepted an offer from a school that I was pretty excited about. Fast forward a few months and now I'm feeling pretty conflicted about my decision to attend PT school in the first place. I have been trying to put my finger on exactly what is making me feel this way, but it's kind a vague feeling of dread. I think I'm just worried that all of the effort and sacrifice I have put into getting accepted has left me feeling a bit jaded. I am definitely enjoying my time off right now, but whenever I have to do something for my program the whole situation feels more real and I can't help but feel worse about it. It's like I've lost my momentum. I know that I can handle the coursework if I apply myself, and I have been excited about PT as a career in the past, but I can't help but imagine selling everything I own and disappearing into South America somewhere whenever I feel August looming. I have no idea what I would do if I don't go, and it seems like I should go because I have put in so much work to get here, but that's flawed thinking and is eerily reminiscent of the sunk cost fallacy. Should I be considering other options, or is this just something that happens? The extended nature of my transition into grad school is probably a contributing factor as it has given me a copious amount of time to start freaking out (I have not had class since December), but it would be nice to feel excited once in a while. This is all a bit confusing to me and I appreciate any insight that you can provide. Also, sorry for the vomitesque format of this post, but I felt like I just needed to lay it out like it is.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Its probably normal to have some doubts before under going a major life decision. You have to think back to what made you apply to PT school in the first place in order to try to regain that motivation.

So, I was finally accepted into a PT program after my second application cycle. In fact, I was admitted into four programs and accepted an offer from a school that I was pretty excited about. Fast forward a few months and now I'm feeling pretty conflicted about my decision to attend PT school in the first place. I have been trying to put my finger on exactly what is making me feel this way, but it's kind a vague feeling of dread. I think I'm just worried that all of the effort and sacrifice I have put into getting accepted has left me feeling a bit jaded. I am definitely enjoying my time off right now, but whenever I have to do something for my program the whole situation feels more real and I can't help but feel worse about it. It's like I've lost my momentum. I know that I can handle the coursework if I apply myself, and I have been excited about PT as a career in the past, but I can't help but imagine selling everything I own and disappearing into South America somewhere whenever I feel August looming. I have no idea what I would do if I don't go, and it seems like I should go because I have put in so much work to get here, but that's flawed thinking and is eerily reminiscent of the sunk cost fallacy. Should I be considering other options, or is this just something that happens? The extended nature of my transition into grad school is probably a contributing factor as it has given me a copious amount of time to start freaking out (I have not had class since December), but it would be nice to feel excited once in a while. This is all a bit confusing to me and I appreciate any insight that you can provide. Also, sorry for the vomitesque format of this post, but I felt like I just needed to lay it out like it is.

Truly this is normal. And PT school is not a death sentence :) Go. If you don't like it stop going. If you graduate get a license. There is nothing that says you have to be a PT for the rest of your life. I worked as a PT for about 6 years and then left the profession for almost 10 years and did something else. Now I am back. I think my generation said on average we would have 3-4 careers and you all younger folks even more. I think education is one of the more useful things you can spend money on so (I know this is hard to get and I know all of my students struggle with it when I say it)... don't overthink. Have fun, learn a bunch, and maybe, just maybe you will find your dream career.
Oh and after 20 years of working I keep my passport with very quick access in case I decide to escape to South America and work on a coffee plantation.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're nervous and that's perfectly ok. When I started my program back in August, 3 days in I was sitting on my bed wondering if I had made the right choice going to school or if I was just setting myself up for failure. 2 semesters completed now, I couldn't be happier. You've worked so hard to get to this point in life and now that it's here, you're starting to doubt yourself and your abilities. If school doesn't work out for you, it's not the end of the world. However, you are 100% capable of finding success in this journey you are about to begin. Take comfort in knowing that you were accepted to these programs for a reason and that your faculty and the admissions board believe that you are capable of great success in your program. You're going to be ok. Take a breath. Enjoy the rest of your time off and then get to work when classes start. You've got this.

Honestly, what you're feeling is totally normal! I just finished my first semester in PT school and even though it was hard, I was so relieved that I could get through it successfully! I have been trying to get into PT school for 6-7 years and it finally happened for me, so if you want something bad enough, work your tail off for it. Like everyone else is saying, if you don't like it, then you can choose to leave. But, if this is a field you truly want to be in and can see yourself doing for a few years, or even the rest of your life, then stay and find your niche. Not everyone in my class wants to do ortho or neuro....you can figure that all out throughout your time in grad school or discover a specialty you never thought you'd like! Keep your chin up and use your off time to travel and relax. Trust me, I have 2 weeks off until summer semester begins and it's hard for me not to feel like I have to pick up something to study! I'm trying to relax as much as possible!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your post. You aren't alone. It's hard to keeping pushing through sometimes.

I had similar feelings.. It is a big change so doubt can kick in. It may be normal.

Hey everyone, I thought I would check back in. I decided to turn down my acceptance, and this is why. The main determining factor for me was that my debt, in the best case scenario, would be about 150k before origination fees and interest. Federal loans for graduate school are unsubsidized and accrue debt as soon as they're disbursed, so I figured I would graduate with about 170k in debt by the end. This was a private school, but still cheaper than the state schools I was accepted at since my tuition would have been out of state for all three years (the other schools were at about 120k tuition). Also, I had some unfortunate experiences at the last two clinics I worked in that really made me question the nature of the profession and whether I could see myself doing it for long enough to at least pay off my debt.

The school I accepted enrollment at was the cheapest option on the table, but paying 24k toward loans would be a pretty large burden on my income since I am single (taxes are rough if you rent and are not married). I don't think I can get into my only in state program because I had some very serious issues with depression during my first round of undergrad and was too self conscious/dumb to seek help, and my grades were awful for a while (on the bright side, I'm alive). However, I recently finished an exercise science degree (my second degree) kind of accidentally, and graduated with honors. My PTCAS combined GPA is not very good (barely over 3.0), but the last ~120 credits are about 3.8, and my pre-req GPA is something like 3.75-3.9 depending on the school.

My question is this: Is there any decent way for me to go about getting a DPT that won't force me to live with roommates until I'm 50? I have learned a lot about myself and the career in the last several years, had some rough times, some serious doubts, some failed relationships, and several moments of sheer disgust, but overall I know that many of those things can be overcome at least partly if I focus on the factors that are under my control. With that said, I have worked at a few clinics where I felt like I was doing good things, and that the PT's I was working with were truly excellent. I have had some time to gain perspective on the entirety of my observation experience and have come to conclusions that do not feel reactionary or place blame on factors that I cannot control (read that as "I do not feel like I'm lying to myself"). Some of this involved coming to terms with things that I cannot change, and others forced me to take a good hard look at my weaknesses and understand how I need to think to be able to do the most good that I can. I could love PT if I found myself in a good clinic, but I also realize that that I don't want to be a slave to it. I needed the hiatus and I'm better for taking it, even if I felt like a failure for a while after. Anyway, if you have any guidance I would appreciate hearing it, even if it's a reality check. I know school is expensive, but if I could keep my expenses under ~130k I would be a happy guy. Sorry for the huge post, and I appreciate your time.

My question is this: Is there any decent way for me to go about getting a DPT that won't force me to live with roommates until I'm 50?

The short answer:
Find an inexpensive school. Live with roommates while in school. Live like a monk.
East Carolina Univ (NC) has a very inexpensive DPT program, around $30K for all 3 years; however ECU only takes NC residents so you may need to relocate. I think many schools in Texas are also very affordable.

The longer answer:
Starting Salary for DPT new-grads

Some schools have pretty reasonable (well, under 100k at least) out of state tuition if you're willing to move. It's a little challenging to hunt them down, but they do exist. Also, schools in more rural areas are going to have a substantially lower cost of living. As a city dweller, I've been shocked at some of the locations' apartment rates. Apparently there are places where you can have a one bedroom apt for $450 a month and not get murdered.

Texas state schools are all around 33K for in state and 55K for out of state. Most of the schools in the periphery (UTEP, tech, angelo state) arent *quite as competetive as more desirable locations (along the I35 corridor).

*all of the schools here get around 500 to over 2K applicants for state schools. USA in austin is 100K as a private school, and you could live somewhere in the burbs south of there for hella cheap.

Good luck!

Good to know. My state program gets like 2k applicants or so as well, but the way they evaluate applicants plays to just about all of my weaknesses which is unfortunate. I'll have to look at some programs in Texas, it sounds like there's some good options. I've done some research and have found a couple of potential places as well. I'd even take like 80k for tuition if I had to, but 100k with high cost of living was too rich for my blood. The whole business of loans is crazy, I never realized how much I valued cheap tuition in undergrad until I sat down and planned a realistic budget based on my potential loans for PT school. Glad to know there's options out there though. I guess it's back to tech work and more shadowing for now. Hopefully some more experience while not taking classes will be good for me. Anyway, thanks for the information!

also I would look into travel therapy as an option as you have the potential to make 100k after taxes. Also picking up some hours per diem on the weekends. If you focus on paying off loans it won't take 10+ years to pay off 100k.