Feeling discouraged and unsure.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

resilience123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After realizing that DO schools will no longer practice their grade replacement policy, I am left with:
  • cGPA of 2.97, sGPA of 3.0
  • 301 Credit hours
  • Currently studying for the MCAT now
I'm pretty devastated because my goal was to apply to DO school in 2018 (with the grade replacement it would have been 3.4 sGPA, and 3.28 cGPA) and now that's no longer a possibility because I know a majority of schools will be screening at 3.0. I spent hundreds of dollars retaking classes and I feel like that was all for a lost cause. I'm not sure what to do anymore. If I do decide start a DIY pos-bacc, how many classes should I shoot for (since I would have to pay for it out of pocket, I'm hesitant to do more than 6 credits a term)? I don't have the financial means to move anywhere to start an SMP program and my state doesn't have any at the moment.
 
After realizing that DO schools will no longer practice their grade replacement policy, I am left with:
  • cGPA of 2.97, sGPA of 3.0
  • 301 Credit hours
  • Currently studying for the MCAT now
I'm pretty devastated because my goal was to apply to DO school in 2018 (with the grade replacement it would have been 3.4 sGPA, and 3.28 cGPA) and now that's no longer a possibility because I know a majority of schools will be screening at 3.0. I spent hundreds of dollars retaking classes and I feel like that was all for a lost cause. I'm not sure what to do anymore. If I do decide start a DIY pos-bacc, how many classes should I shoot for (since I would have to pay for it out of pocket, I'm hesitant to do more than 6 credits a term)? I don't have the financial means to move anywhere to start an SMP program and my state doesn't have any at the moment.
Read this:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After realizing that DO schools will no longer practice their grade replacement policy, I am left with:
  • cGPA of 2.97, sGPA of 3.0
  • 301 Credit hours
  • Currently studying for the MCAT now
I'm pretty devastated because my goal was to apply to DO school in 2018 (with the grade replacement it would have been 3.4 sGPA, and 3.28 cGPA) and now that's no longer a possibility because I know a majority of schools will be screening at 3.0. I spent hundreds of dollars retaking classes and I feel like that was all for a lost cause. I'm not sure what to do anymore. If I do decide start a DIY pos-bacc, how many classes should I shoot for (since I would have to pay for it out of pocket, I'm hesitant to do more than 6 credits a term)? I don't have the financial means to move anywhere to start an SMP program and my state doesn't have any at the moment.
I think you'll be ok honestly. Maybe try to push your gpa to a 3.0 with some upper level science courses.

Focus on your mcat and nail that. I think you'll get in to some do school. And all do schools are pretty much the same to me.
 
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I felt like I had absolutely no hope when I was calculating my GPA yesterday, and today I feel slightly better. I truly hope that DO schools will see that the 3.61 cGPA from the classes that I took from Fall 2014 to Winter 2017 (I was in college for 8 years as an undergrad - 🙁) and the CNA work I've been doing for 6 years, is enough to overshadow the mistakes I made in the past. As a first generation college student, I didn't use the resources that were there, like advisors, and ended up making poor academic decisions. Mix that with studying poorly because I didn't know what kind of career I wanted (lack of purpose) and here I am.