Feeling discouraged and unsure.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resilience123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After realizing that DO schools will no longer practice their grade replacement policy, I am left with:
  • cGPA of 2.97, sGPA of 3.0
  • 301 Credit hours
  • Currently studying for the MCAT now
I'm pretty devastated because my goal was to apply to DO school in 2018 (with the grade replacement it would have been 3.4 sGPA, and 3.28 cGPA) and now that's no longer a possibility because I know a majority of schools will be screening at 3.0. I spent hundreds of dollars retaking classes and I feel like that was all for a lost cause. I'm not sure what to do anymore. If I do decide start a DIY pos-bacc, how many classes should I shoot for (since I would have to pay for it out of pocket, I'm hesitant to do more than 6 credits a term)? I don't have the financial means to move anywhere to start an SMP program and my state doesn't have any at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
After realizing that DO schools will no longer practice their grade replacement policy, I am left with:
  • 301 Credit hours
I'm pretty devastated because my goal was to apply to DO school in 2018 (with the grade replacement it would have been 3.4 sGPA, and 3.28 cGPA) and now that's no longer a possibility because I know a majority of schools will be screening at 3.0. I spent hundreds of dollars retaking classes and I feel like that was all for a lost cause. I'm not sure what to do anymore. If I do decide start a DIY pos-bacc, how many classes should I shoot for (since I would have to pay for it out of pocket, I'm hesitant to do more than 6 credits a term)? I don't have the financial means to move anywhere to start an SMP program and my state doesn't have any at the moment.
Read this:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
  • 301 Credit hours
I think you'll be ok honestly. Maybe try to push your gpa to a 3.0 with some upper level science courses.

Focus on your mcat and nail that. I think you'll get in to some do school. And all do schools are pretty much the same to me.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I felt like I had absolutely no hope when I was calculating my GPA yesterday, and today I feel slightly better. I truly hope that DO schools will see that the 3.61 cGPA from the classes that I took from Fall 2014 to Winter 2017 (I was in college for 8 years as an undergrad - :() and the CNA work I've been doing for 6 years, is enough to overshadow the mistakes I made in the past. As a first generation college student, I didn't use the resources that were there, like advisors, and ended up making poor academic decisions. Mix that with studying poorly because I didn't know what kind of career I wanted (lack of purpose) and here I am.

Reactions: 1 user
You need about 13 more credits to reach a 3.01 gpa (if you maintain a 3.9+)
I would take the 13 credits, also study for the mcat and apply next cycle.
You're right, I just calculated that out right now!! I'm now thinking of taking those classes in the spring term (upper level sciences) and then applying.

Reactions: 1 users