feeling discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asummer208

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Not sure if this forum is for the purposes of venting, but I couldn't think of a better place to discuss my feelings. I just graduated from my pre-health degree, and have been on and off studying for the new MCAT. I had taken the MCAT last year, and received a very low score. This was very discouraging and made me doubt my intelligence. I ended up graduating with a 3.6 overall GPA and a 3.4 Science GPA. I am trying to get a job as a scribe, since I am no longer receiving money from school and I want a job that is pertinent to my career choice. I have already been denied to work at PhysAssist Scribes, due to my lack of quick typing skills as well as a virtual scribe position due to my inexperience. I am now studying for Scrivas, which seems to be more doable, since it is more of a medical terminology aspect, however, nothing is guaranteed for at least 2 months. I was planning on applying to medical school for the 2016 cycle, but with everything going on, I am not sure I will be able to accomplish this. While I am studying for this scribe position, it is hard to focus on both the MCat and Scribing. I am turning 25 next month, and I feel as though I have been in the same place for almost 4 years now, with no improvements. I am not a good test taker and it takes me a longer time to learn things. Can anyone please provide me with words of wisdom? I am literally about to give up.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give up!! There are plenty of older applicants than you. If you need the gap year, take it. Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hang in there! I don't think I'm stupid but I've never been great at standardized tests. I often feel like I have to study twice as long as some of my peers for the same results.

The field of medicine is ancient and taking huge tests to become one is relatively new to a profession that used to just take on apprentices.. I know becoming a doctor is my calling, and I have a feeling you feel the same. It makes sense to have hurdles to jump through because of the limited positions and because you want to make sure you have serious, intelligent people dealing with life and death situations. But this whole, "only SAT/MCAT wizes can be doctors" is a relatively new phenomenon.

But I do not think being a doctor is only a career for "super nerds". In fact, I believe I read a study that showed surgeons' success was not correlated with their grades in medical school. Your ability to score well on tests might not be hugely linked on how well you actually perform at the job.

I don't think you should be discouraged because your test isn't stellar. I think you just need to dig deep, work hard, and perform. There will be a million tests between now and you being a full-fledged physician, and you will have to keep taking them to stay one, but if you know that medicine is your calling, do no think that because you aren't great at standardized tests you are stupid or will make a bad doctor. It just means you might need to work harder than some of your peers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. Not sure if this forum is for the purposes of venting, but I couldn't think of a better place to discuss my feelings. I just graduated from my pre-health degree, and have been on and off studying for the new MCAT. I had taken the MCAT last year, and received a very low score. This was very discouraging and made me doubt my intelligence. I ended up graduating with a 3.6 overall GPA and a 3.4 Science GPA. I am trying to get a job as a scribe, since I am no longer receiving money from school and I want a job that is pertinent to my career choice. I have already been denied to work at PhysAssist Scribes, due to my lack of quick typing skills as well as a virtual scribe position due to my inexperience. I am now studying for Scrivas, which seems to be more doable, since it is more of a medical terminology aspect, however, nothing is guaranteed for at least 2 months. I was planning on applying to medical school for the 2016 cycle, but with everything going on, I am not sure I will be able to accomplish this. While I am studying for this scribe position, it is hard to focus on both the MCat and Scribing. I am turning 25 next month, and I feel as though I have been in the same place for almost 4 years now, with no improvements. I am not a good test taker and it takes me a longer time to learn things. Can anyone please provide me with words of wisdom? I am literally about to give up.:(

So... a few things. You still have options... a lot of them. How low are we talking for your MCAT? You've got a lot going for you still (you're young, your GPA is decent, you've only taken the MCAT once so you have some more opportunities to excel, and you're on the right track with the scribe position), so stay focused on the positive and things you CAN do get yourself into medical school.

Here are some other suggestions to get you going:

1. Take an MCAT prep class. Expensive? Yes. But if it gets you to your goal of going to medical school then it's worth it. Maybe put the scribe stuff on hold for right now and focus 100% on the MCAT. If you can pull off a decent score this summer/fall, you could still apply this cycle.
2. Consider a post-bacc for your gap year(s).
3. Consider another health field for the interim and use that as a stepping stone to medical school later on. I worked as a healthcare provider in another field for the past 8 years and will be starting school in the fall. So yeah, I'll be the old one in my class, but I'm thankful for the experiences I've had before going to med school.

Good luck!

25....that is not anywhere near old, so you can put that one out of your mind and not worry about it;). There are quite a number of us starting that are in our 30's! If the MCAT is your weakness, then I would identify where you went wrong on your first exam, then come up with a plan to fix said issue. If need be, as others have suggested take a look at an MCAT prep class. If you think the scribe job is going to get in the way of your studying, then put off the job and focus your attention on the MCAT. A scribe job, at this point, does not sound like it should be the most important thing in your life. Studying for the big career determining standardized exam should be the most important thing right now if you want to go to med school.

Reactions: 1 user
So... a few things. You still have options... a lot of them. How low are we talking for your MCAT? You've got a lot going for you still (you're young, your GPA is decent, you've only taken the MCAT once so you have some more opportunities to excel, and you're on the right track with the scribe position), so stay focused on the positive and things you CAN do get yourself into medical school.

Here are some other suggestions to get you going:

1. Take an MCAT prep class. Expensive? Yes. But if it gets you to your goal of going to medical school then it's worth it. Maybe put the scribe stuff on hold for right now and focus 100% on the MCAT. If you can pull off a decent score this summer/fall, you could still apply this cycle.
2. Consider a post-bacc for your gap year(s).
3. Consider another health field for the interim and use that as a stepping stone to medical school later on. I worked as a healthcare provider in another field for the past 8 years and will be starting school in the fall. So yeah, I'll be the old one in my class, but I'm thankful for the experiences I've had before going to med school.

Good luck!
Thank you so much, this really helped :)