This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Career1945

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a MA in Clinical Psych and a MS I’m Education, Schiol counseling and cannot find a job. I went into school counseling to be on my daughters school schedule, however cannot find a job.

I’m considering earning my BCBA but wouldn’t be able to work evenings which it seems when most of the work is done.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a MA in Clinical Psych and a MS I’m Education, Schiol counseling and cannot find a job. I went into school counseling to be on my daughters school schedule, however cannot find a job.

I’m considering earning my BCBA but wouldn’t be able to work evenings which it seems when most of the work is done.

Why would anyone put in more effort to give thoughtful advice or guidance than was apparent from your hastily composed, unproofed post?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. I am new to this site and was trying to edit but had trouble.

Why are you so hostile ?

Reactions: 1 user
Why would anyone put in more effort to give thoughtful advice or guidance than was apparent from your hastily composed, unproofed post?
I was not intending to be hostile, just being honest about my reaction to what I saw.

As a mental health professional, I hope you can find it in your heart to possibly forgive my typos and be a little compassionate . Especially considering my post “ Feeling Discouraged.” If you don’t have any professional advice, then please don’t reply.

My advice would be to talk to someone in the state in which you would be seeking employment about what is available as far as job prospects for BCBAs before getting the credential. You don’t want to do another program and find out you are in the same boat. Is the market in your area flooded with school counselors or is there something about your credentials or personal situation that prevent employment and could those same factors make BCBA difficult.

My advice would be to talk to someone in the state in which you would be seeking employment about what is available as far as job prospects for BCBAs before getting the credential. You don’t want to do another program and find out you are in the same boat. Is the market in your area flooded with school counselors or is there something about your credentials or personal situation that prevent employment and could those same factors make BCBA difficult.

The market in my area isn’t great for school counseling. With my other Masters in Clinical Psychology I have been considering the BCBA route, which I will most likely pursue as there is a real need here. No, I don’t feel my personal situation is relevant or a concern regarding job prospects .It’s just the job market isn’t great right now for school counselors. I have looked into BCBA course work and it looks interesting.

Going to go out on a limb here -- we as a field encourage concise writing. Each sentence in the OP's post directly communicates data (Sentence 1: credentials; Sentence 2: presenting problem; Sentence 3: proposed solution; Sentence 4: Request for help and an expression of gratitude).

There are a grand total of two typos (e.g., "I'm" and schiol). That makes for 2 out of 286 characters of their post incorrect, or 0.7% (rounded up) of the post being incorrect. To be less strict, that is 2 words out of 64 words, making a total of 3.1% of the post less than readable. I am sure that is within the margin of error for internet posting. If I want to be more conservative, I suppose I can include that the OP forgot an apostrophe in "daughters".

This is a forum, not a professional conference or a progress note. Your response seems oddly punitive, and is exactly what my clients with social anxiety expect from every interaction they have.

Reactions: 9 users
I'd recommend you clarify a bit about what you are wanting to do professionally. BCBA is very different from School Counseling is very different from clinical psychology in terms of what practice looks like, age ranges you are likely to work with, diagnostic ranges, etc. When it comes to deciding the next step, knowing what you want (job duties, earning potential, day to day life, etc.) will help others offer you more concrete advice.

Also, you may want to evaluate where the jobs are in your area and what the openings are for, assuming you want to work in your current location, then examine how that reflects historic trends. Are the jobs with kids in private practice, in community mental health, at VAs, etc?

Last edited:

Are you licensed as a school counselor? Is there a way to become licensed as a master's level therapist since you have an MA in Clinical Psychology? School counseling is a bit more of a smaller niche than clinical/counseling degrees. I'm wondering if you can get more creative with the degrees you do have if jobs are an issue rather than just having to get more education as a last resort. If you want to get licensed at the master's level for clinical/counseling, you may have to get supervised hours and/or do an internship, but it may be worth looking into state board licensure requirements.

You can get school psych credentialing ..that's s job for sure and a lot of schools offer..brandman..national..so you can get in and out. Good luck.