Feeling Down: should I apply next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loliswirl

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm no AO but based on normal discussion here your numbers generlaly look very good. Also the fact that your work in the startup has been recognized formally probably means you are doing excellent work. Nothing here sounds like "not really being productive" especially given COVID constraints.

Also, where was your pub published? Not being top 3 author is still a big achievement especially in bench labwork for an UG student. Heck, a pub, in general, is amazing so don't knock yourself for not being a top 3 author.

I'd say if you have a shot anywhere if you get the desired MCAT score. Obviously the sGPA is low for ORM but I don't think that is low enough to warrant post bacc work. On top of that depending on what your startup is and what you did on that, you can really stand out, also that shows a lot of individual initiative and personal motivation that a lot of people don't have (or not a lot of).

Reactions: 1 user
what planet are you on where all those things you did during your gap year are "unproductivity"

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bruh you seem plenty productive in your gap year.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
With a solid MCAT score, you're more than ready to apply this cycle. Your GPA is definitely a little bit low, but a solid MCAT score will keep you competitive.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

you're more than ready to apply with a good MCAT score.

Premed rule #1: don't compare yourself to other applicants in SDN.

Premed rule #1: don't compare yourself to other applicants in SDN.
I've never seen someone on this forum with anything as significant as co-founding and running a startup that's been accepted and supported by multiple prestigious accelerators. IDK if this was an overexagerration or something, or if the "prestigious accelerators" I'm thinking about in SV aren't the ones OP is referring to, but as someone whose done a lot of work in that area it's seriously a big deal.

The most 'impressive' profiles I see on here are just people with thousands of volunteering hours in some random organization while also being the treasurer. lol. and 4.9+/520+ which I guess doesn't apply to OP but I'd imagine the company would kinda make up for that. I'll admit I don't browse a lot but a lot of ppl seem to be check-boxing on this forumn, accompanied by high stats ofc.

OP - I would agree, you're ready to apply if MCAT score comes in strong. Just be sure to craft a well-written, compelling PS that tells your story and what drives you toward medicine.

ECs are fine. If anything, I would take a few more science courses if you can ace them in case you end up reapplying if you don't get an acceptance this coming cycle. Your numbers are not fatal but are below average for matriculants.

Edited: All this assumes you have a satisfactory MCAT score. No one can give super great advice without a valid MCAT score. Your odds are 0% of acceptance until you have one.