feeling hopeless at this stage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epicpt89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I dont know where to go from here guys I'm in need of some advice. So I attended a webinar for the St Augustine PT program and I had the impression that the last 45-60 credit hours that needed to be taken for school were based on your overall credit hours and not strictly your bachelors. i completely bombed my bachelors for various reasons and ended up getting a 2.44. So I thought to myself that I could boost up my gpa by taking pre reqs and having those last 60 credits be taken into consideration.

I just feel as if I wasted alot of my time doing all of this. I feel as if there is no realistic hope getting into any school even with my solid pre req and if i did amazing in the GRE

thoughts? should i just pull the plug and cut my losses or somehow keep going? i only have physics left after this semester as a pre req so i should be good to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

IMG_0861.PNG
Your last 60 credit hours GPA is not calculated automatically by PTCAS. They calculate your UnderGrad Cumulative, post bac, total & others . I'll post a pic. I doubt your school will even look at the last 60 hours bc I doubt they will calculate that themselves. They might ask it in a supplemental app though if they have one.

I looked up your program and it doesn't say they have a minimum gpa to apply or anything about the last 60 credits. They just say they recommend a minimum of 3.0 in the prereqs.
But I would double check to make sure.

So I dont know where to go from here guys I'm in need of some advice. So I attended a webinar for the St Augustine PT program and I had the impression that the last 45-60 credit hours that needed to be taken for school were based on your overall credit hours and not strictly your bachelors. i completely bombed my bachelors for various reasons and ended up getting a 2.44. So I thought to myself that I could boost up my gpa by taking pre reqs and having those last 60 credits be taken into consideration.

I just feel as if I wasted alot of my time doing all of this. I feel as if there is no realistic hope getting into any school even with my solid pre req and if i did amazing in the GRE

thoughts? should i just pull the plug and cut my losses or somehow keep going? i only have physics left after this semester as a pre req so i should be good to apply.

i was just in a webinar with an advsior they specifically mentioned that they main look at cum gpa, pre req, and the extra stuff like observationals,etc

i

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools look at both the last 60 hours and your cumulative GPA and will take the higher of the 2. Some programs just look at the last 60 hours. If your last 60 hours are not as good as your overall GPA then avoid applying to this programs that have that last 60 hour requirement.

How well did you do on the GRE? 156-160 on each section, 4-5 writing? If that good you should continue and if your last 60 were good, apply to schools that look at your last 60. If you did really well in GRE you still have a chance.

Last edited:

That's strange. I thought they counted the last 45 credit hours taken. My situation is similar to yours but was invited for an interview already for Miami campus Fall 2017.

What is your prereq GPA when using only your highest grades?

That's strange. I thought they counted the last 45 credit hours taken. My situation is similar to yours but was invited for an interview already for Miami campus Fall 2017.

what was your cGPA from your bachelors? my last 45 credit hrs should put me in good standing as it is a 3.4 if i continue the trend for my classes now

What is your prereq GPA when using only your highest grades?

same deal here, if i do solid in the rest of my classes here on out my pre req gpa should be me at the least a 3.3 and with a couple of A's a 3.5. i have not taken my GRE yet but I will start studying like a madman for it and i hear st augustine looks at the applicant holistically. if that is the case i should still have a shot because everything surrounding the overall cGPA should be good enough. I have the hours in multiple places, letters of rec, a bunch of extra curriculars. Its just my GPA when i just wanted to graduate that continues to haunt me.

I have a cGPA of 3.15 which isn't that great either. If you do really good on all the other parts of your application you should have a chance. I have heard of people getting in with sub 3.0 cGPA too.

Edit: If cGPA only includes your bachelors then mine would be 3.45. I was thinking cGPA is all your classes combined. Let me know which one you heard was correct.

Last edited:
Yeah that cGPA is a killer so you have to really stand out. I would retake any prereq classes so that you have a 4.0 in that category. Study real hard for the GRE to try to get 320+. I used Magoosh online to study which is like $99 for 6 months. You can also take a GRE prep course. It is nice to go on a medical mission trip too. I went to the Dominican Republic last summer for a week. You have to really stand out in all the other categories to have a chance.

Epicpt, if I were you I would definitely retake any prereq class you have less than an A in. You need to bring your pGPA to as close to a 4.0 as possible, that way your cGPA will be overshadowed. Bringing up your cGPA is not really feasible, since it's really difficult to bring up your cumulative with 120+ credits.

I have heard of people getting in with sub 3.0 cGPA too.

Unfortunately those people are the exception, not the norm. It is possible to get in with a low cGPA, but you have to show adcoms that you are determined to work for it! I believe that you should have spectacular extracurriculars, shadowed a multitude of PTs, have an outstanding GRE score, and of course only apply to schools where your application will be the strongest at.

Unfortunately those people are the exception, not the norm. It is possible to get in with a low cGPA, but you have to show adcoms that you are determined to work for it! I believe that you should have spectacular extracurriculars, shadowed a multitude of PTs, have an outstanding GRE score, and of course only apply to schools where your application will be the strongest at.
Thats exactly what ive been doing. Everything around my cGPA is comptitive. If im just hoping some school looks over that and hopefully gives me a shot

Epicpt, if I were you I would definitely retake any prereq class you have less than an A in. You need to bring your pGPA to as close to a 4.0 as possible, that way your cGPA will be overshadowed. Bringing up your cGPA is not really feasible, since it's really difficult to bring up your cumulative with 120+ credits.

Thing is i actually raised technically raised my gpa a bit since my post bachelor work. The only issue is that they do not count post bachlelor work towards your cGPA. If it did i would be very close to a 2.9

Thing is i actually raised technically raised my gpa a bit since my post bachelor work. The only issue is that they do not count post bachlelor work towards your cGPA. If it did i would be very close to a 2.9
Post bacc work should help to raise your cGPA. I raised my cGPA from a 2.89 ( I believe) to a 3.03 by taking a large number of credits. Granted, the more credits you have under your belt the harder it is to raise your cGPA but it is doable.

see thing is, what I mean by post-bacc work is not exactly a masters or anything like that, it is literally extra credits i am taking (along with pre reqs) at a local CC. not where i originally got my 4 year from

see thing is, what I mean by post-bacc work is not exactly a masters or anything like that, it is literally extra credits i am taking (along with pre reqs) at a local CC. not where i originally got my 4 year from
That's exactly what I did. I did not go back for a masters.

Then it looks like you're going to have to look at other PT schools that look at overall GPA rather than just your undergraduate cumulative GPA.

So, I don't really know a ton about USA's program, but getting into PT school isn't necessarily out of the question for you. First of all, I've heard that some schools only calculate GPAs (cGPA or last 60) from your undergrad degree and do not count coursework taken past that. Others combine all coursework ever taken to be included in these calculations. This is something that varies and needs to be looked for at each school. I personally plan on applying to last 60 credit hour schools because it's a 4.0 vs a 3.1 cGPA for me. Also, I second the notion of retaking low prereqs for A's. Some schools will average the two grades, others will take the highest, but any bump to your pGPA will be helpful. Finally, if possible, you should plan to apply to schools that may not be in an "ideal" location if you have a better chance of getting into them. In other words, you should have some "strategic" schools (such as places that replace grades for retakes, look at last 60 total credit hours, or perhaps don't require a prereq that you did poorly in). Everything really hinges on how a school looks at applications and calculates things. I'll be at the bottom of the barrel at some schools and highly competitive at others. It's annoying.