Feeling Lost as an MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syranope2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm three weeks into my first rotation of third year (medicine), and I really feel pretty lost. I'm following two patients most of the time and I would get two on call days except we never seem to get enough patients. But I really feel like I have no idea to do with any of these patients. Even when I read up on them, I'm not sure of what tests to order or what to do when certain tests come back or what meds to give or anything. I feel like all of the knowledge I gained during the first two years of med school is hidden deep in my brain, I can never seem to answer questions asked of me during rounds.

At the same time, though, my resident and attending say I'm doing a great job. During my feedback session with them, my attending told me flat out that I'll get honors unless I kill someone in the next week. So my question is, who is right, me or him? Is this really how I should be feeling as a new MS3? I knew I was gonna be confused and stuff, but I really feel like I don't know anything most of the time. Am I just doing a good job of repeating to the attending what my resident has told me and pretending that I thought of it myself? Or is my attending right, and this is the level I should be at right now?

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Syranope2 said:
I'm three weeks into my first rotation of third year (medicine), and I really feel pretty lost. I'm following two patients most of the time and I would get two on call days except we never seem to get enough patients. But I really feel like I have no idea to do with any of these patients. Even when I read up on them, I'm not sure of what tests to order or what to do when certain tests come back or what meds to give or anything. I feel like all of the knowledge I gained during the first two years of med school is hidden deep in my brain, I can never seem to answer questions asked of me during rounds.

At the same time, though, my resident and attending say I'm doing a great job. During my feedback session with them, my attending told me flat out that I'll get honors unless I kill someone in the next week. So my question is, who is right, me or him? Is this really how I should be feeling as a new MS3? I knew I was gonna be confused and stuff, but I really feel like I don't know anything most of the time. Am I just doing a good job of repeating to the attending what my resident has told me and pretending that I thought of it myself? Or is my attending right, and this is the level I should be at right now?

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

These feelings sound totally normal for new 3rd year. It's difficult to make the transition from regurgitating knowledge on an exam to actually applying knowledge to clinical decision making. No one expects you to know much of anything. If you were answering all the questions right that people posed to you, you wouldn't be learning anything. We learn much more when we're asked questions we don't know! Your attending knows that much of your patient plan is coming from your resident. That's okay. At this point in the game, the goal is to collect the information from the patient (which is often easier said than done), present it concisely, and at least be able to understand why the plan is beind done. No one expects a new 3rd year to be able to come up with reasonable plans by themselves. Sounds like you're getting great feedback--go with it! :)

Feelings of being lost and not knowing everything are common, even expected of MS3 students. At this point in training you need to work on improving your job as an information gatherer and reporter. Which is why reporting to the attending what your resident told you and what you looked up is exactly what is expected of you. You are expected to know very little about management/treatment at this point. I am an MS4 and I think I still know little about that, although more than a year ago. Third year is hard, so it is important to be good to yourself and treat yourself well. If your attendings and residents tell you you're doing a good job this is probably right.
Note: you may encounter a couple of mean people in the future who may tell you all kinds of things (especially in surgery). Don't take them seriously. If most evaluators are satisfied with your job, then you are doing fine. Relax and focus on learning! Good luck!