Feeling pretty doomed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caitlin0206

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling pretty hopeless but due to my circumstances I haven't had much of a choice. Right now my cGPA is a 3.37 and my science GPA is around a 3.2. Iv been working full time at retail stores since my freshmen year of college in order to help support my family and pay for school and other expenses. Im a BS in Biology and have been taking full time hours at school and work for the past four years. I haven't had any experience with shadowing or volunteering in hospitals, in fact the only thing i have to show for myself is a summer intership in a medical insurance company in High School. Im about a year away from applying, but will more than likely be taking a year off to increase my chances of getting in somewhere. Im starting volunteering this summer and am planning to continue throughout the next year....so what are my chances? (be nice)

Members don't see this ad.

Right now your GPAs are on the low side for allopathic med schools without an extremely strong MCAT score, say 34+. But you're still within reach of DO med schools, provided you get an MCAT score of 27+.

You are not obliged to get your clinical experience though volunteering. You might consider a job in a clinical environment plus some nonmedical community service. You will likely get some credit for heavy work hours and the altruism behind helping to support your family. Med schools also like to see research, but it isn't required. Teaching/TA/tutoring/coaching are also viewed well. Even jobs in retail sales are helpful as they help one to develop people skills.

Shadowing need not be done on a regular basis and should follow naturally through physicians you meet through volunteering or the workplace, but you can also ask your own physician or those of family memebers to give you this opportunity.

Until you graduate, keep trying to improve your BCPM/science GPA. An upward trend is appreciated by adcomms.

Don't apply until your application is the best it can be. There is nothing sacred about aplying soon after college graduation. Folks in the their late 20s, 30s, and 40s are applying successfully, and their additional maturity is desirable.