Feelings after Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWES1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took Step 1 a couple of days ago, and already know I missed 15 really dumb questions. Was looking to get a 245+, are there any of you out there who can relate to this feeling after step 1.

This sucks, it's super stressful waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just took Step 1 a couple of days ago, and already know I missed 15 really dumb questions. Was looking to get a 245+, are there any of you out there who can relate to this feeling after step 1.

1) Lots of people feel like they did badly after Step 1. There's honestly no use worrying over or feeling bad about what you can't change.

2) Just wait for your score to see whether your feelings match reality or not. If you did as well as you expected or better on Step 1, then fantastic. If you did worse, then see how much worse you did. If it's just a few points, it probably doesn't matter that much. If it's an average or lower score, then you can improve your CV by other means (e.g., take Step 2 and crush it). If you failed, which I highly doubt you failed because people aiming for and getting on practice exams 245+ probably aren't the types to fail, then you can evaluate why you failed. Right now is the time to be glad you've made it across one huge hurdle en route to becoming a physician.

3) I realize SDN is full of overachievers who think getting less than a 245 is a failure. Don't be like them.

4) I did really well on Step 1, though I also felt I did badly, but after Step 1 the main feeling I felt was relief that it's over. Hope you can feel some relief too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
are there any of you out there who can relate to this feeling after step 1..
I'd be shock if there wasn't. Completely normal. Do something fun and take your mind off it. Things usually work out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Took it a few weeks ago with very similar feelings to you. My goal was 250, but I know of some mistakes that could add up. I just try to block out those feelings, and I forced myself to forget most of the questions to not torture myself. I think it's hard when you know how little wiggle room there is on some of the NBMEs. Hang in there. Just wait and see.

Same here OP. Been in sort of a slump the last couple days thinking of the not-so-insignifant number of questions that I made dumb decisions on. It hurts when you spend all year studying and then don't do your best when it's show time. I've heard it's a very prevalent feeling though. I'm just trying not to think about it for the time being.

anything you guys wish you had done differently to prepare? and if you're allowed to answer this, how much of test (percentage-wise) was pharmacology?

When I walked out of step 1, I felt like I bombed but I didnt care that night. I was relieved it was finally over. It felt like I had been studying First Aid forver.

Over the next two days, about 15 really stupid mistakes came up to my mind. Literally overthinking the first-order freebie questions. I started feeling extremely bad.

Then rotations started and completely pushed step 1 out of my head up until the morning of score release. I vomited that morning from the overwhelming anxiety. My brain had now convinced me that I'm about to get a 200-210. I knew it was releasing at 11:00am but didnt open it until 1:00pm. I was that scared!!

Final score: 245+

:D

Long story short, dont torture yourself like I did

Reactions: 2 users
anything you guys wish you had done differently to prepare? and if you're allowed to answer this, how much of test (percentage-wise) was pharmacology?
My one regret was not seriously studying for step 1 in the 4-6 weeks we had before our dedicated period began. Sure, I made 1 pass of FA (while watching some B&B too) while keeping on top of our remaining organ modules (endo/repro). Not doing UW concurrently (or even a different Qbank like Kaplan or Rx) meant that very little stuck with me until relearning it during dedicated. So, no matter when you decide to begin your serious preparation for step 1, make sure to be serious about it and not get lazy or burnt out like I did. As for pharm representation, I'd say definitely <10%, probably closer to 6-7% of the entire exam. Your exam may be different, so just be prepared for anything and everything.

Reactions: 1 users

Yes, I wouldn't have spread myself so thin. I would have focused on higher yield stuff, and then hit the lower yield material if I had the time. I stupidly went at it all at once. I also would have done my best to calm my nerves before I hit "proceed" to dive into the test. Adrenaline does do a number on the brain. I think I missed questions because my nerves got the best of me. Once I calmed down, I did better on the last few sections. Hopefully closed some of the gap. Hard to say how much pharm there was. I'd definitely know it well though (sketchy was clutch for me).

When I walked out of step 1, I felt like I bombed but I didnt care that night. I was relieved it was finally over. It felt like I had been studying First Aid forver.

Over the next two days, about 15 really stupid mistakes came up to my mind. Literally overthinking the first-order freebie questions. I started feeling extremely bad.

Then rotations started and completely pushed step 1 out of my head up until the morning of score release. I vomited that morning from the overwhelming anxiety. My brain had now convinced me that I'm about to get a 200-210. I knew it was releasing at 11:00am but didnt open it until 1:00pm. I was that scared!!

Final score: 245+

:D

Long story short, dont torture yourself like I did
If you don't mind me asking did you get above a 250, since that is the ultimate goal. Thanks in advance

Pretty much everyone feels that way unless they're super-genius level or are high AF.

I don't know maybe I'm really well adjusted or I just don't care that much, but I felt great after I was done. I knew I probably missed some questions, but I also knew I probably did ok and I was glad to be done. Result: upper 230s which was pretty much where most of my practice tests had predicted.

I felt like a ***** for the stupid mistakes i made and was convinced i wouldnt get anywhere near my nbme average.
Result: nbme average

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt like a ***** for the stupid mistakes i made and was convinced i wouldnt get anywhere near my nbme average.
Result: nbme average
What as your nbme average though?

I don't know maybe I'm really well adjusted or I just don't care that much, but I felt great after I was done. I knew I probably missed some questions, but I also knew I probably did ok and I was glad to be done. Result: upper 230s which was pretty much where most of my practice tests had predicted.

I felt the same way. I felt like it went okay when I was walking out.
It was in the weeks after and I remembered questions that I started feeling like ****. But I never thought I failed. I knew I had passed for sure. And I did! I more than passed :)

I felt the same. Beat myself up for 2 months during the wait (we had a score delay). I counted about 20 I missed. ended up with mid 250's, higher than my NBME average. you can miss a lot more on the actual step exam and still get a good score.

Felt like I did absolutely terrible, and remembered probably 1-2 stupid questions a day I felt like I missed up until I got my score back. Got a 247. I think everybody feels awful afterwards no matter what and that is in no way indicative of what your score will be. Yeah, you very well may have bombed, but you may have also crushed it.

Felt like I did absolutely terrible, and remembered probably 1-2 stupid questions a day I felt like I missed up until I got my score back. Got a 247. I think everybody feels awful afterwards no matter what and that is in no way indicative of what your score will be. Yeah, you very well may have bombed, but you may have also crushed it.
Out of curiosity, where was that in relation to your NBMEs if you don't mind sharing?

Out of curiosity, where was that in relation to your NBMEs if you don't mind sharing?

My NBMEs were a lot worse if I recall correctly. Think my highest one was like 235 and I had a couple in the mid 220s. UWSA was more accurate for me, got a 245 on it.

Wow, that's amazing! Congrats! :)

My NBMEs were all over the place with a difference in about 20 points in the last 3 weeks, so I am not sure what to expect.

I took exam today and can count 30ish I for sure missed. Most of them stupid as ****. Like I forgot you're supposed to use inhaled steroids in asthma, so dumb. Liberally marked a quarter of the questions from each section. Do I have hope for 230?

NBME 19 2 months ago =192
NBME 18 1.5 months ago=196
Free 120 five days before=78%
UWSA2 two days before=72.5%=237

I took exam today and can count 30ish I for sure missed. Most of them stupid as ****. Like I forgot you're supposed to use inhaled steroids in asthma, so dumb. Liberally marked a quarter of the questions from each section. Do I have hope for 230?

NBME 19 2 months ago =192
NBME 18 1.5 months ago=196
Free 120 five days before=78%
UWSA2 two days before=72.5%=237
I think theres a chance for sure. Why havent you taken any nbmes recently?

Liberally marking 10 Qs per section really isnt much. I marked that many and ended up killing it

don't forget some of them could be "experimental" Qs. Keep hope alive and who knows you could peak 245+. All the best.

My NBME average was around 256. After the exam I counted at least 15 questions I missed and multiple others I could have definitely missed. At that point I forced myself to stop looking up more questions. I was expecting to drop into the 240-250 range but scored 265.

I guess the point is to trust your NBME averages and know that there is much more room for error on the real Step 1 than NBME's.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
225. ****

Can relate, I scored about 14 points lower than my NBME average.