Fell in love with Radiology after Match..what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBRaysgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on my last rotation and due to scheduling conflicts, I was not able to schedule radiology until now. I didn't put much thought into it, as I never expected that I would love it this much..but I do. Nothing has ever engaged me this much - I'm a very visual person, I love anatomy and I live for solving diagnostic puzzles.

I matched into pediatrics this year in a different city Although I love many aspects about peds, I have already prepared for the burn out I am going to experience. At this point, I really want to keep my options and am considering applying to a PGY2 next year. Does anyone have any advice for someone in my position? I know it is not as common to switch from pediatrics and given my limited experience, it's going to be hard to get letters for ERAS. I am considering staying around after graduation to "shadow" and hopefully get one this way. Is it possible to find a position outside of reapplying to ERAS?

Also, what factors do radiology residency programs look at most heavily? What board scores are considered competitive this year? About where would a 234/240 put me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll easily match with those scores.

run...run for your life.

Just kidding. You will be fine, especially since rads is in the low point of competitiveness right now.

I think it's fairly common to second-guess your residency choice at this point (post match). You obviously went into your chosen specialty for a reason. Give it a little time. If you still feel strongly about it, you shouldn't have any trouble making the switch. People do it all the time. Good luck.