Fellow incoming OMS-Is...what are you doing to pass the time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fox800

Go to the ER now to see if you have coronavirus.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working full-time until June, haven't decided when my last day will be yet.

I'm reading a ton of books on my Kindle. I'm knocking out a new book every 2-4 days. I just finished Complications by Gawande and I'm reading the follow-up, Better.

I'm going on a 16 day trip to New Zealand at the end of the month. If I can swing it, I want to spend a few days at my buddy's place in Florida before school starts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
working part-time, finishing up senior year, working out, playing guitar, spending time with the fam...

Same here, working but haven't really decided when I'm going to give my 2 weeks. Time flies. I know I won't have this kind of freedom again for the next few years..

Members don't see this ad :)
good thing we are talking about this now because if somebody were to ask me what i did in my free time leading up to first year during orientation, I would be willing to bet my response would be something along the lines of "I don't really remember..."

Agreed with all you, do as much fun stuff as possible.....

So I have the option to work a little more on my masters degree or spend the time at the beach and the bar? Tough choice

I go out to bars and clubs a lot. I ignore emails from pre-meds at my university. Work, read, watch a ton of netflix. Pretty standard stuff.

I go out to bars and clubs a lot. I ignore emails from pre-meds at my university. Work, read, watch a ton of netflix. Pretty standard stuff.

:thumbup:

That made me laugh.

"I have a 3.98 and only made a 33 on my MCAT, do you think I'll get in somewhere?"

No, give up now.

Enjoy life while you can, don't start studying until classes start. It's a long road. As a MS4 you get more time off but then residency will hit and you'll be in the same world of hurt. Good luck to you.

TCOM has a loooong year.

Get some rest. Make sure your car is in good repair, titles updated, etc.
Go see a doc, you may not want to make time during class.

Caveat: If you haven't had Biochem I suggest studying. The course people fail the most in the first semester is Cell Science, it's the first thing you do. People are unprepared for the pace & sometimes unfamiliar with the material.

Same here, working but haven't really decided when I'm going to give my 2 weeks. Time flies. I know I won't have this kind of freedom again for the next few years..
Amen! I am working full time but not quite sure when I will be done. I like having the income, but I am over with working for right now.

My life in a nutshell: working full time, volunteering, gym. Also, I've been reading a lot and trying to stay active. I don't watch much TV at all (only watch Million Dollar Listing NY on Bravo and Wicked Tuna on Nat Geo if there are any fans). Now that I have money, I've been buying a lot of things that I've always wanted but I never had the money to buy. Overall, just enjoying life...

My resignation for my job and volunteering are in for May 31; so come June 1, I'm free! I'm going out to San Diego in June to see some friends and I'm gonna be spending quite a bit of time at my family's beach condo in the Outer Banks. Other than that, just patiently waiting for August 13 so i can hit the books.

Enjoy this summer! Spend time with family and friends and travel.

Get some rest. Make sure your car is in good repair, titles updated, etc.
Go see a doc, you may not want to make time during class.

Absolutely. Make sure all of your affairs are in order before classes begin. Get your cable and internet set up in your apartment ahead of time. Make sure you know your way around town if you're moving to a new city. The last thing you want is to be stuck without internet access during your first week of classes or to be driving around lost for an hour trying to remember how to get to the drycleaners.

Spend as much time as you can with friends and family because you will have to make sacrifices once classes start. Relax and enjoy your free time while you have it. Some people will disagree with me, but DO NOT STUDY before your classes start. You will have plenty of time for reading, listening to lectures, etc. once classes begin, and the "head start" you get by pre-studying will not put you at a significant advantage over your peers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. Make sure all of your affairs are in order before classes begin. Get your cable and internet set up in your apartment ahead of time. Make sure you know your way around town if you're moving to a new city. The last thing you want is to be stuck without internet access during your first week of classes or to be driving around lost for an hour trying to remember how to get to the drycleaners.

Spend as much time as you can with friends and family because you will have to make sacrifices once classes start. Relax and enjoy your free time while you have it. Some people will disagree with me, but DO NOT STUDY before your classes start. You will have plenty of time for reading, listening to lectures, etc. once classes begin, and the "head start" you get by pre-studying will not put you at a significant advantage over your peers.

So don't start studying for the COMLEX?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

As an accepted pending a seat student, I am trying to remain optimistic that I will hear some good news by the end of next week. In anticipation of this being my last free summer to do whatever I am winding down my part time employment and volunteer work by May 11th. Then, a Portland, Oregon - New York City cross country bicycle ride.. Two months of open country, rolling hills, camping and traffic dodging. Mmmm.

Spend as much time as you can with friends and family because you will have to make sacrifices once classes start.

And get rid of your pets, girlfriends, roadies, hangers-on, etc. Tell them not to call - and if they really love you, they'll send money and pizza.:)

TCOM has a loooong year...
Caveat: If you haven't had Biochem I suggest studying. The course people fail the most in the first semester is Cell Science, it's the first thing you do. People are unprepared for the pace & sometimes unfamiliar with the material.

Good prudent advice for TCOM students. Cell sci has a fire-hose refresher, but it can be a jarring experience for many people. Helluva wake-up call for most 1st years, I'd say.

Enjoy the heck out of this summer... because this time next year you're going to be sitting at a cubicle or desk somewhere studying for hours on end, and you're either going to be glad you used this summer to do what you wanted or kicking yourself for wasting your last few months of free time.

Working 40-50 hours a week until its nice out, quit my job a 6-7 weeks before school starts. Go on a few vacations.

Working 40-50 hours a week in order to save money for my wedding next summer. Vacation sounds nice.

Work 40+ hours and play with my newborn son...life perspective has changed a WHOLE LOT. Oh, I try to hang out with my wife too....she thinks I'm just trying to train her early to be a med school widow.

Going on a month long vacation before moving...gonna be awesome.

I'm working 84 hours a week............in Afghanistan. I'll be home in June and go on a cruise then settle in for school. I can't wait.

Finishing up my molecular biology degree in two weeks then going on vacation with both families at some point. I plan to read most of the books in the Halo series this summer.

Work 40+ hours and play with my newborn son...life perspective has changed a WHOLE LOT. Oh, I try to hang out with my wife too....she thinks I'm just trying to train her early to be a med school widow.

Going on a month long vacation before moving...gonna be awesome.

And your wife is not the only one who thinks that. :D

Finishing up my molecular biology degree in two weeks then going on vacation with both families at some point. I plan to read most of the books in the Halo series this summer.

The first couple books are actually quite good.