Fellow MD/PhD M2s: how are you approaching Step 1? Residency directors: how should I be approaching Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kepler16b

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I am trying to figure out how I should be approaching step 1 next spring. I don't want to close any doors on competitive specialties, but I also don't want to waste time studying for something that ultimately won't matter when I could be focusing on research.

Knowing that I'll be applying alongside MDs who have p/f scores, should I just shoot for a pass, average, or as high as I can?

Members don't see this ad.

You've got a whole PhD to focus on research. You should do as well as you can. It can't hurt you, and I promise anything you could do during the 6 - 8 weeks of dedicated study time, if important, will happen during the subsequent years of your research training. There's obviously a complicated layer here to do with the pass/fail scores you'll be competing against, but my guess is the directors will trust a strong score more than a pass, as long as they have both available. If you care at all about competitive specialities, you should give the test your all.

Reactions: 1 user
Discussed this with my classmates and the general consensus was that md/PhDs taking the step in 2022 +/- 1 year were the ones most screwed over by this change. Not because of some objective change that made them less competitive, but because they have pretty much been forced to become the guinea pigs of the whole process and any long term strategic career planning can now be completely undone by the sudden decisions of the USMLE or whatever organization controls it (e.g. we still don’t even know if P/F will be implemented by 2022). At least those who haven’t matriculated yet or those who already took it a whole ago it have the luxury of having a reasonable idea of what their fate looks like. As someone in the later category, what I would recommend is just to try and do as well as you can on it. Assuming you go to a reasonable school you should have a study period for this exam so you mind as well use it. Also, I believe it was officially announced somewhere (check the md forum) that step 1 scores will NOT be retroactively blinded. I.e. if you know you are taking the step in 2021, purposely mediocritizing the step can really only hurt you unless you really have something better to spend your time on.

Just my 2 cents as someone getting the **** out before the storm arrives

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aiming for average and not rly going to kill myself over the score. So I’m going to use outside resources if it helps for class content / learning but I’m not going to do try to mature all of Zanki, do an insane 12 week dedicated, or anything like that.

I can’t possibly conceive of the score having any meaning at all in 6-7 years. It just makes absolutely no sense for it to. It’s already not very important at PSTP residencies, and once P/F is implemented the meta game will have moved on to valuing other things, whatever they will be. I think people underestimate how quickly a meta game shift can occur. The number of MD/PhDs is so small relative to MDs too, it’ll be a number in a sea of Ps.

Ive seen so many people’s well-being be seriously damaged by step 1 prep and the level of dedication to ignoring absolutely everything else during the first 2 years of med school being truly hardcore about step demands is not worth it or appealing to me in any sense.

Reactions: 2 users
Just took Step 1 at the end of August so I can share my 2 cents. I had a weird COVID-influenced dedicated period at home with my family, so I had a less than ideal study environment but way more time than I usually would have. Anyway, that aside... I tried to approach this test in light of my future goals and, like you said, not really knowing how my score would be interpreted. Since we're M2's in MD-PhD programs, we've taken a lot of tests and we know how terrible it can feel when you're taking a test you haven't really prepared well for. I didn't want that feeling regardless of whether my score would be seen like a "P." On the other hand, I wasn't aiming for a 260+, I was aiming for a score that would put me in a competitive position at academic programs in my areas of interest (psych, peds, EM, etc, still undecided but not neurosurg, ya know?).

So I didn't reinvent the wheel. I did flashcards for memorization things (sketchy micro and sketchy pharm) and did BrosWorld so I didn't forget the names of biochem stuff. I watched and annotated Pathoma. I did all of UWorld and some of my incorrects and took an NBME every weekend. I read First Aid, although I don't really think that was an effective use of my time. I used Cram Fighter for my schedule because I'm not one of those people who's organized enough to time block resources in an Excel spreadsheet. I panicked once or twice a month, but during that panic I was able to reassess what was working and what wasn't and got my head on straight. I took 1-2 days off a week, except in the last two weeks, and never studied after I was totally exhausted. It's said all the time, but this test, and the prep for it, is a marathon, not a sprint.

This test is massive in its scope, but while I was taking it I was suprised, in general, by how straightforward most of the questions were. You're always at the risk of getting some bizarre questions that are being tested and won't be scored, but almost all the questions I saw felt like "yeah, I have looked at this topic and do or should know this." There are tons of resources at your disposal and the biggest thing is just finding what works best for you. I had a terrible time in pre-clinicals, so I was using a lot of these resources (Sketchy, Pathoma, qbanks) for the first time, but that may or may not be your experience. And I still hit my goal score.

Hope some of this is helpful, I really feel for you and how uncertain this time is. I pondered a lot of options, including taking Step 2 now and waiting to take Step 1 post-PhD, but generally I decided to just follow the flow and do what previous classes have done and trust that it should be fine. That way, whether our scores become effectively P's or whether they look like scores that would have been decent/good for members of our entering MD cohort, either way we're fine.