Fellow postbacs advice, please???

Started by pyau03
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pyau03

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am currently a postbac and am debating whether I should reapply to med schools next year or enroll in a MPH program. It seems like I have a more chance of getting in after the masters rather than the postbac. I am a borderline applicant with mediocre stats, applied last yr but waitlisted, could get in at the end. I don't want go through the tortous cycle once again with the same results. I will cry a river. Please, any advice/opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! BTW, I do plan to retake the MCAT in April as well.
 
Its great to solicit advice from us but more importantly you should be talking to schools you've applied to in the past. Ask them pointed questions as to why you were unsuccessful in the past. Was it MCAT, gpa, LOR's, EC's, bad interview, or whatever...They can give you the best advice because they have your complete application in hand. By your original post we know little to nothing about your competitiveness nor do we have the power to give you an acceptance. So with that said I'll give you this little pearl of wisdom "get your information directly from the horse's mouth"

Good luck on the MCAT next April!

Wish you all the best!

rmp
 
P.S. If the schools that you talk to do in fact advise you to take the post bacc route or MPH ask them for names of specific programs that previous applicants have been successful in gaining admission after completing. You would definitely cry another river if you subjected yourself to a year and a half post bacc/MPH to wind up with the same results - waitlist city. That would completely suck. So be sure to pick a competitive program and do your best.

rmp