fellow-trained trauma/cc surgeons with private practice - salary ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EclecticMind

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know a surgeon who is fellowship-trained in trauma and critical care and also is in private practice with a group of other general surgeons. He takes trauma call 1-2 times/wk in addition to his private practice duties.
He is also on the faculty with my medical school and is an assistant professor teaching residents.

I have spent a good bit of time "tagging along" with him, and I must say that I think he has the most awesome job that I've ever seen a doctor have.

Now, as for my question... I would love the idea of doing what he does, and I'm not overly concerned with just being filthy rich, but I do wonder what would a surgeon with his responsibilities make?

I am considering going into trauma surgery, but unfortunately this seems to be a field that is difficult to get a lot of info on. Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

probably 200 k

but you can make more if you go to a rural practice where a certain trauma surg group has contracts with particular trauma centers....

but it is high stress level...i can say overall because you have to be alert all the time...quick highway to Hypertension ..indeed.

EclecticMind said:
Hello,

I know a surgeon who is fellowship-trained in trauma and critical care and also is in private practice with a group of other general surgeons. He takes trauma call 1-2 times/wk in addition to his private practice duties.
He is also on the faculty with my medical school and is an assistant professor teaching residents.

I have spent a good bit of time "tagging along" with him, and I must say that I think he has the most awesome job that I've ever seen a doctor have.

Now, as for my question... I would love the idea of doing what he does, and I'm not overly concerned with just being filthy rich, but I do wonder what would a surgeon with his responsibilities make?

I am considering going into trauma surgery, but unfortunately this seems to be a field that is difficult to get a lot of info on. Any input would be appreciated.

www.trauma.org this should answer a lot of your questions. Remember that the segment of society that is typically needs a trauma surgeon doesn't always have the means to pay for thier care.