Fellowship Advice from Attendings/PD's if possible...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5Burros

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
I will keep this as brief as possible. I am currently a cardiology fellow and am extremely unhappy. I am miserable in this job, and to be honest, I miss internal medicine. The bottom line is, although I wasn't sure until now, that I want to be an internist. I like internal medicine, and I would be happy being an internist. I am not loving this as I thought I would. The best option would be to finish out the year and not sign on for the next 2, but I am becoming severely affected by my misery and want to leave now (mid-year). I would like any feedback from program directors and/or attending internal medicine physicians on how it would affect me if I left mid-year (eg. the effect it would have on being hired by an IM practice, or hospitalist position). Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

To better educate the rest of us, why do you find yourself so unhappy? Is it something about your fellowship program that you dislike or did not expect? Or is it something about the field of cards itself that you are disillusioned by? Your thoughts may certainly be helpful to those looking for or considering fellowships now.

Yeah seriously, PLEASE tell us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I'd rather not post much on it; I'll just say that it is 80% the particular program I am in, and 20% the fact that I'd rather be an internist. (and no, I won't identify the program. Sorry.)

I"m sure the program in question could do without a whiny loser like yourself.

Just go away.

if u quit the fellowship program and want to work as an internist / hospitalist, it should be no problem. references u provide are going to be from your internal medicine prorgram but not fellowship program. people who hire you for hospitalist job dont care why you quit cardiology. however, if u want to re-apply for another fellowship later on, u may have to answer why u changed your mind.

anyways, howcome u r not considering changing the program if bad program is the main reason u want to quit. do you have any visa issues to deal with ?

OK, Dr. Smallcock (tibor75)...you don't know me, or anything about me, and clearly there are some major issues you have with yourself when there is the need to attack people unprovoked. Additionally, the message was for attendings/PD's (as it says in the title)...but it's ok. I'll "just go away". I don't want involvement with the type of people who have inadequacy issues on boards like this. See ya.