Fellowship after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSDOC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From those that may have experience and are already in their fellowships or residents about to enter a fellowship how did you decide when to go into fellowship? Does it hurt you if you wait a few years to go into a MFM fellowship? Or, would it be wise to get some loans paid off and some private practice experience and then go for the fellowship. I haven't found to much research based on if it is something that you should consider or not consider. I just don't want to make a decision and ruin chances of getting into a fellowship if I take a few years off after residency.

Members don't see this ad.

(Speaking purely of personal experience)
I decided in my second year to pursue MFM as did my classmate. In looking at the recent match results (in programs I was interested in), a good proportion of matched applicants were fresh out of residency. Having said this, I know of 2 people who matched after practicing for a few years, but both were in academic settings and not traditional private practice.

As for the monetary aspect, expect to make 40-60K as your base salary (depending on geographic location of the program). Many programs allow moonlighting which gets you 25-40K per year, and helps offset the financial hit you take by pursuing the additional years. Also, loans can often undergo forbearance, and some locations qualify you for NIH repayment, so its not as bad as you may think.

At the end of it all, I had the anxiety about the money during my third year, but after talking to many fellows (at home, SMFM, on the elective), the consensus was to go for it right after residency. The thought was that it gets harder and harder to decide to go to fellowship as the years after graduation come and go.

Good luck!

Also, loans can often undergo forbearance, and some locations qualify you for NIH repayment, so its not as bad as you may think.
Good luck!
Hi GD,
Which locations offer NIH repayment?

There is no "one" specific program. The NIH has several and it depends on the attitude of the program. The larger academic programs are generally more supportive as one of the requirements generally involves dedicating 75% of your last two years to research, or (in some repayment programs) the program's promise to offer the applicant a faculty research position following graduation.

Sorry for not being more specific, but its predominantly because there are alot of funding opportunities out there. When the time comes, hit me up!