Fellowship and after

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
____

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's a competitive subspecialty. Pretend everything is important on your app, try your best, and apply broadly...

/thread

Hey thanks. Can you shed more light on exactly what they look at? Research in Cards? Step scores from med school?

Also s it possible to do a year of research in Cards after IM residency to aid match? My point is: I am not concerned as much as to how many years t takes to get in, as long as i can make it into a decent program? Thanks for reading all.

Hey thanks. Can you shed more light on exactly what they look at? Research in Cards? Step scores from med school?

Also s it possible to do a year of research in Cards after IM residency to aid match? My point is: I am not concerned as much as to how many years t takes to get in, as long as i can make it into a decent program? Thanks for reading all.

Not being a program director, I couldn't tell you with certainty what theyre looking for. But my feeling is that you should try to go to a good university program with a good reputation, perform well as a resident, and try to get involved in research. Also getting to know cardiologists well known in the field helps for letters.. A lot of places don't ask for board scores. If you have your heart set on going to mgh, Hopkins, or brigham, you'd better be coming from a similarly well regarded residency, in addition to having some good publications. If all you want is a fellowship somewhere, you have more latitude. I wouldn't recommend a dedicated year of research unless you're really interested in it.