Fellowship and location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rad2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I understand that it is common knowledge that fellowship in a particular location will open avenues to jobs in that region. With that being said, how likely is it, for example, to secure a job in a location where one does not do a fellowship? For example, if I am at a high-tier fellowship on the east coast, will I be able to easily find a job on the west coast? Is it better to aim for the best training (assuming it will open all doors) or to do fellowship (possibly a lesser program) in a place where you believe you would like to practice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I understand that it is common knowledge that fellowship in a particular location will open avenues to jobs in that region. With that being said, how likely is it, for example, to secure a job in a location where one does not do a fellowship? For example, if I am at a high-tier fellowship on the east coast, will I be able to easily find a job on the west coast? Is it better to aim for the best training (assuming it will open all doors) or to do fellowship (possibly a lesser program) in a place where you believe you would like to practice?

Thanks.
This entirely depends on field and alumni network.

I would literally look on group websites in your target area and see where they have hired from in the past.

Reactions: 1 user