Fellowship Application/ERAS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDQS47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
- Posters presented at DDW automatically become an abstract in "Gastroenterology." Do I list each poster I presented as a poster and also as a "peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts (other than published)"?
- If the poster was presented at a DDW in years past and is now published, should I just list the poster as a poster and then list the publication? (aka skipping listing it as an abstract because that seems redundant).

Members don't see this ad.

- Posters presented at DDW automatically become an abstract in "Gastroenterology." Do I list each poster I presented as a poster and also as a "peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts (other than published)"?
- If the poster was presented at a DDW in years past and is now published, should I just list the poster as a poster and then list the publication? (aka skipping listing it as an abstract because that seems redundant).

To answer your question, if it makes you happier to list it two times since you can and there is no harm in doing so, "you can list it twice"

But what I did, was to list it once under the poster presentation section. I never put it under other than published category, thinking this whole time that is the section for chapters, books or magazine or international journals, like (Manitoba Gastroenterology Quarterly scientific report).

Reactions: 1 user
I completed residency in 2013 and last year the Program Director (PD) changed. The new PD was an attending in the same program and I had limited interaction with him. The old PD is very supportive and he wrote me a LOR 2 years ago when I first applied to fellowship. Now, I am applying again to fellowship and ERAS has a new feature that allowed to pull the LOR that old PD wrote me 2 years ago. I asked the new PD to write me a new LOR but he was hesitant and refused in the beginning, but he agreed after few emails.

Should I use the LOR from old PD dated 2 years ago, or ask the new PD to write me a new LOR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed residency in 2013 and last year the Program Director (PD) changed. The new PD was an attending in the same program and I had limited interaction with him. The old PD is very supportive and he wrote me a LOR 2 years ago when I first applied to fellowship. Now, I am applying again to fellowship and ERAS has a new feature that allowed to pull the LOR that old PD wrote me 2 years ago. I asked the new PD to write me a new LOR but he was hesitant and refused in the beginning, but he agreed after few emails.

Should I use the LOR from old PD dated 2 years ago, or ask the new PD to write me a new LOR?

Use old PD LOR.

are you going to have 4 LORs (Including PD) or 3 LORs (Including PD)

Reactions: 1 users
Use old PD LOR.

I am planning to have 4 LORs + old PD letter.

1 LOR from GI attending at UCSF, worked with him for one year in a research and resulted in publication
3 LORs from GI attendings from program that I am working at as academic hospitalist: (1 LOR from GI professor worked with her inpatient and outaptient , 1 LOR from GI attending worked with him inpatient and outpatient and he is well known regionally, 1 LOR from director of advanced endoscopy that I am working with on research projects - prospective study)

which LORs should I use?

1 LOR from GI attending at UCSF, worked with him for one year in a research and resulted in publication
3 LORs from GI attendings from program that I am working at as academic hospitalist: (1 LOR from GI professor worked with her inpatient and outaptient , 1 LOR from GI attending worked with him inpatient and outpatient and he is well known regionally, 1 LOR from director of advanced endoscopy that I am working with on research projects - prospective study)

which LORs should I use?
I would say use the ones that know you clinically.

Reactions: 2 users
General question:

How descriptive should I get with the work/research/volunteer experience

I feel like some times the titles are self explanatory and shouldn't need further explanation and 'fluff'

Things like "XYZ IRB approval committee" or "Graduate Medical Education Committee Member" or "ACG 'XYZ' Committee Member" etc.

Can you please answer my query :
Does years past completion of residency play a role in matching in IM. For e.g. for someone who completed residency in IM and now working as a hospitalist, apply in fellowship after 1-2 yrs of hospitalist experience or does that time gap work as a disadvantage.
TIA.

which LORs should I use?

Does years past completion of residency play a role in matching in GI. For e.g. for someone who completed residency in IM and now working as a hospitalist, apply in fellowship after 1-2 yrs of hospitalist experience or does that time gap work as a disadvantage.
TIA.
Use old PD LOR.

Last edited:
Does years past completion of residency play a role in matching in IM. For e.g. for someone who completed residency in IM and now working as a hospitalist, apply in fellowship after 1-2 yrs of hospitalist experience or does that time gap work as a disadvantage.
TIA.

Depends on how productive you are during that time. If you do a lot of GI related research then yes. If not, then I would say it is a negative

Understood !
Research and productive residency are the two criteria for fellowship admission.. Anything else to be checked for apart from this two ?
And there will be a compulsive gap year between residency completion and start of GI fellowship right ? Given the fact that one applies for fellowship after residency is over.
Sincere regards.
Grateful for your help.
Depends on how productive you are during that time. If you do a lot of GI related research then yes. If not, then I would say it is a negative

Understood !
Research and productive residency are the two criteria for fellowship admission.. Anything else to be checked for apart from this two ?
And there will be a compulsive gap year between residency completion and start of GI fellowship right ? Given the fact that one applies for fellowship after residency is over.
Sincere regards.
Grateful for your help.
Incorrect. US medical residents typically apply for fellowship at the beginning of year 3 of residency, so there is no gap year.

Thank you.
And how does the application for fellowship process work ? Is it same as THE MATCH into residency or we directly apply to hospitals of our choice etc ..
Sincere thanks.
Incorrect. US medical residents typically apply for fellowship at the beginning of year 3 of residency, so there is no gap year.

Thank you.
And how does the application for fellowship process work ? Is it same as THE MATCH into residency or we directly apply to hospitals of our choice etc ..
Sincere thanks.

Same as the residency match, but process starts a few months earlier in the year.

TIA.
I can't tell you for your sure because I am still in the process of applying to GI. However, some programs prefer someone with hospitalist experience before GI fellowship while other programs prefer fresh graduates. In both occasions, your CV should show persistent interest in GI through clinical experience and research.

Thank you !
I know it might seem as a long shot but I am still in the processing of applying into IM first and I seem to have a year or so for research purpose.
Can you please guide me as to how and what particular GI research program should I enroll into ( considering I am aiming for GI later on ) and the most basic question : what kind of research do the programs expect from students at my level i.e. just finished graduating from med school ( IMG here but saying med school to not create any confusion )
I can't tell you for your sure because I am still in the process of applying to GI. However, some programs prefer someone with hospitalist experience before GI fellowship while other programs prefer fresh graduates. In both occasions, your CV should show persistent interest in GI through clinical experience and research.
TIA.
Sincere thanks.

Thank you !
I know it might seem as a long shot but I am still in the processing of applying into IM first and I seem to have a year or so for research purpose.
Can you please guide me as to how and what particular GI research program should I enroll into ( considering I am aiming for GI later on ) and the most basic question : what kind of research do the programs expect from students at my level i.e. just finished graduating from med school ( IMG here but saying med school to not create any confusion )

TIA.
Sincere thanks.

There is no specific area in GI or hepatology that programs prefer in general. I think if you focus on one area in GI/hepatology would be very beneficial for you. choose something you are interested in and you feel very comfortable researching and studying. It is very important to do research before you start residency and if you can spend 1-2 years before residency publishing in GI, that will help you a lot in the future. Make sure to apply to programs that have GI fellowship because most programs prefer internal candidates and rank them higher too.
try to get case reports and posters as much as you can, but if you are an IMG you need to get peer reviewed publications with being first author. focus more on manuscripts and publications, and in between you can submit abstracts and posters.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks a lot !
It was extremely useful.

What does " posters " comprise of ?
There is no specific area in GI or hepatology that programs prefer in general. I think if you focus on one area in GI/hepatology would be very beneficial for you. choose something you are interested in and you feel very comfortable researching and studying. It is very important to do research before you start residency and if you can spend 1-2 years before residency publishing in GI, that will help you a lot in the future. Make sure to apply to programs that have GI fellowship because most programs prefer internal candidates and rank them higher too.
try to get case reports and posters as much as you can, but if you are an IMG you need to get peer reviewed publications with being first author. focus more on manuscripts and publications, and in between you can submit abstracts and posters.

I hope this is helpful.