Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a US IMG and have 10 interview for heme Onc fellowship (incl. my home program which has high internal competition)and 1 more outside the match at a place very near to where I’m doing residency at the moment. I have no ties to the US so am very flexible on location now (long story). I went for an interview and they told me they’ll let me know in a few days and that I’d need to make a decision quickly if they decide to offer a place.
My concern with this place is that it does appear to be very work heavy, is in a safety net hospital in a sketchy area and I didn’t even get to speak to the fellows at the program (they were ‘too busy’ apparently) which in my mind is a red flag. This fellowship is established for past 12 years and has good board pass rates it seems. The PD and APD seemed nice who I interviewed with.
My debate is if they offer me a spot I’ll have very little time to decide. Should I take it or risk going unmatched? What would most do in a similar situation? All my rank list is IMG friendly community programs anyway and about 8 of the 10 are much better than this place
My concern with this place is that it does appear to be very work heavy, is in a safety net hospital in a sketchy area and I didn’t even get to speak to the fellows at the program (they were ‘too busy’ apparently) which in my mind is a red flag. This fellowship is established for past 12 years and has good board pass rates it seems. The PD and APD seemed nice who I interviewed with.
My debate is if they offer me a spot I’ll have very little time to decide. Should I take it or risk going unmatched? What would most do in a similar situation? All my rank list is IMG friendly community programs anyway and about 8 of the 10 are much better than this place