Fellowship competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which fellowship do you think is the most competitive?

• Total voters

Dazed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which fellowship do you think is the most competitive to get into:
1)Allergy/Immunology
2)Cardiology
3)Gastroenterology
4)Heme/onc
5)Pulm/Critical Care

Members don't see this ad.

Dazed said:
Which fellowship do you think is the most competitive to get into:
1)Allergy/Immunology
2)Cardiology
3)Gastroenterology
4)Heme/onc
5)Pulm/Critical Care

1) Cardio (interventional)
2) GI
3) Cardio (non-interventional)
4) Hem/Onc
5) Allergy/Immunology
6) Pulmonary/Critical care

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Allergy and Immunology
2) GI (there are fewer spots per applicants than cards)
3) Cardiology
4) Heme/Onc
5) Pulm/Critical Care

As for interventional cards, it is a separate one-year fellowship after you have completed the general cards fellowship. You will have to apply for it at the end of your cards fellowship. It is surprisingly not so competitive.

nycIMdoc said:
1) Cardio (interventional)
2) GI
3) Cardio (non-interventional)
4) Hem/Onc
5) Allergy/Immunology
6) Pulmonary/Critical care

You Bump! You don't apply/go into to the interventional cardio or noninterventional one out of residency. Do you apply to the INTERVENTIONAL GI, TRANSPLANT (liver, pancreas, SI), MOTOLITY, ETC. during your residency? Everyone knows that GI is far more competitive than cardio. GI is often called the most lucrative and well-paid subspeciality with good life style in medicine.

Where's Nephrology on the list? This poll is broke! You must really be "Dazed" AND Confused...

I know him... he is definitely dazed and confused! :laugh:

I didn't include every specialty of IM. I put in what virtually everyone would consider the 3 most competitive (Cards, GI, A/I) as well as a couple that are also considered pretty competitive. If you think nephrology is the most competitive field, you must be taking more than just placebos

Stop trying to defend yourself... you have a bright future as an A$$-Man!

waterski232002 said:
Stop trying to defend yourself... you have a bright future as an A$$-Man!

Hell yeah, I am hoping for the re-ermergence of proctology as a specialty

You should change your screen-name to "The Rectalizer" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I would have to say it is almost a three way tie between AI/GI/Cards (in that order) AI first simply because the few number of spots. GI because everyone is starting to realize the greatness of endoscopy. :laugh:

I would have to say it is almost a three way tie between AI/GI/Cards (in that order)

somehow you were able to put this "three way tie" in order? haha sorry. I just had to give you a hard time. Actually I'm looking into Hem/Onc so I wanted to know what people had to say.

-Thanks All

1)GI
2)Cards
3)Heme / Onc <---> Nephrology <---> Pulm & C.C.
4)ID <---> Rheum <---> Endocrine
5)Geriatrics

Yeah, Heme is a bit more competitive than Pulm & C.C., but not that much more.

Honestly I don't know where A&I fits in to this. It used to be very competitive several years ago but I'm not sure the market for A&I is what it used to be before the selective Histamine blockers were available.