Fellowship grant timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threecoins

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that fellows going into academia are encourgaed to apply to ( ASCO, ASH, AACR ) grants or workshops during their fellowship. Do fellows apply for these programs in the first,second or third years?

Can someone advise on an approximate timeline to when one should prepare for applying to these awards?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I know that fellows going into academia are encourgaed to apply to ( ASCO, ASH, AACR ) grants or workshops during their fellowship. Do fellows apply for these programs in the first,second or third years?

Can someone advise on an approximate timeline to when one should prepare for applying to these awards?

Thank you

You don't really have time to apply first year. Most do it 2nd year as did I. I'm doing it again this year...mostly because I love getting rejection letters. Nothing like spending 2 solid months on grant writing and getting rejected from 5 different grant programs within a 1 month period. Especially when the only negative comment I got was that I didn't include statistics (on a non-population based experiment). Nobody had a problem with the science.

Thanks gutonc and sorry to hear about the rejections. I know the feeling. I submitted an R21 and one of the reviewers basically said: this is just not goinng to work ! without even feeling compelled to explain his dogmatic position. What do you think are the factors that would increase one's chances of getting one of these " fellowship" grants?

Last edited:
Thanks gutonc and sorry to hear about the rejections. I know the feeling. I submitted an R21 and one of the reviewers basically said: this is just not going to work ! without even feeling compelled to explain his dogmatic position. ?

Yeah it seems like the summary statement commentary will always include one jackass who didn't read anything more than the title. :laugh:
Having taken in part of reviews of scientific proposals, I think there is certainly a component of luck to any review process.