Fellowship Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if if pediatric fellowship hours are different to the pediatric residency?

Basically I just want to know if I am still going to be working 80+ hours a week if I choose to do a fellowship?

Thanks for your responses

Members don't see this ad.

Doc34 said:
Does anyone know if if pediatric fellowship hours are different to the pediatric residency?

Basically I just want to know if I am still going to be working 80+ hours a week if I choose to do a fellowship?

Thanks for your responses

Fellows follow the 80 hour work week rules, too..... but who knows what will be in effect in 2012 when you would begin a fellowship. Our dean told us over 85% of medical students change their minds about their specialty after entering medical school, so don't spend these last precious months of freedom stressing. Have fun and good luck!

True indeed, I started medical school wanting to do general surgery, then I turned into an anesthesiologist....u get the picture.....

This depends on the fellowship (both specialty and site). Intensivist fellowships like Critical care and neonatology, and some of the specialities with more acute patients (cards) have longer hours-more similar to residency; others like genetics, development, or general academic peds have much better hours than residency.