Fellowship in refractive surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Target residency

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is it actually worth doing fellowship with dr. Emil chynn?
Does it add to your CV? Especially if one is an IMG planning to apply for residency in coming match ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

Does it add to your CV? Especially if one is an IMG planning to apply for residency in coming match ?

I don't think it's about that. Are you a troll or for real?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Hi

Hi

yes, it will be worth doing the fellowship. I have been working with Dr Chynn for 2 years , I have learned a huge amount from him, not only ophthalmology and refractive surgery specifically. Dr Chynn's education is second to none, having been trained at Dartmouth, Columbia, Harvard, Emory and NYU.

Dr Chynn is undoubtedly a perfectionist, but that is a function of his training, always striving to be the best, providing the best care for his patients and ensuring his staff reach their true potential. Sure it can be tough, but improvement can only come with 100% effort and sincere endeavour.

Not only have I improved my medical skills immeasurably under his tutelage but I have also learned what it takes to run a successful private practice. These key components that I have improved massively on include communication skills, marketing strategies, especially for refractive surgery which is very different from other specialties.

the skills I have learned will lead me to a successful in life in whatever field of medicine I end up in. You will definitely get more than what you learn from any other program.

Dr Chynn's fellows also have an amazing track record of opening up refractive surgeries in their own countries, Park Avenue LASEK Jordan will open this year and former fellows have opened centers in Venezuela, Egypt, florida, Brazil, Argentina.

For those trying to get into US residency as an FMG, the fellowship is also invaluable. One of Dr Chynn's most recent fellows got into residency in Neuro-Opthalmology after a ringing endorsement letter from Dr Chynn.

In Park Avenue LASEK, we do general ophthalmology, epi-LASEK, LASEK, LASEK over LASIK, LASEK over PRK, CXL ,CXL+LASEK, eye tattoo.

In summary, it is a great program, you get the best surgeon and best education no where else you can get , patient gets the best care.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, it will be worth doing the fellowship. I have been working with Dr Chynn for 2 years , I have learned a huge amount from him, not only ophthalmology and refractive surgery specifically. Dr Chynn's education is second to none, having been trained at Dartmouth, Columbia, Harvard, Emory and NYU.

Dr Chynn is undoubtedly a perfectionist, but that is a function of his training, always striving to be the best, providing the best care for his patients and ensuring his staff reach their true potential. Sure it can be tough, but improvement can only come with 100% effort and sincere endeavour.

Not only have I improved my medical skills immeasurably under his tutelage but I have also learned what it takes to run a successful private practice. These key components that I have improved massively on include communication skills, marketing strategies, especially for refractive surgery which is very different from other specialties.

the skills I have learned will lead me to a successful in life in whatever field of medicine I end up in. You will definitely get more than what you learn from any other program.

Dr Chynn's fellows also have an amazing track record of opening up refractive surgeries in their own countries, Park Avenue LASEK Jordan will open this year and former fellows have opened centers in Venezuela, Egypt, florida, Brazil, Argentina.

For those trying to get into US residency as an FMG, the fellowship is also invaluable. One of Dr Chynn's most recent fellows got into residency in Neuro-Opthalmology after a ringing endorsement letter from Dr Chynn.

In Park Avenue LASEK, we do general ophthalmology, epi-LASEK, LASEK, LASEK over LASIK, LASEK over PRK, CXL ,CXL+LASEK, eye tattoo.

In summary, it is a great program, you get the best surgeon and best education no where else you can get , patient gets the best care.

Welcome back to the forum Dr. Chynn!!! :laugh::laugh:

Ferrari's are so-so imho btw...

Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I am a foreign medical graduate, now finishing my residency in one of the top programs in New York City. I started my career in the US with a fellowship at Park Avenue in 2013, so I feel obligated to post here.

Dr Chynn taught me everything there is to know about refractive surgery, and much more. When I started I wasn't confident and couldn't even convince my patients to follow my recommendations. By the end of my fellowship at PAL, by being trained almost daily on some aspects of sales or marketing or PR, I could convince anyone in anything. It helped me a lot in my career. I can say for a fact that if I didn't do my fellowship at PAL, not only might I never matched for a residency in the United States, but I'd be a much less strong, confident person and physician.

Dr Chynn will most likely be one of the toughest bosses you will ever have. He is a perfectionist, and will always push you to be perfect, and won't usually spend much time saying what you're doing fine, but always correct any little thing you did wrong. But if he says he's happy with your work, you can be sure you've done an A+ job. Every other job will seem easy in comparison in many ways.

I know that it's common that people react differently to harsh teaching methods so if you've got a tough skin, don't mind a boss who's a big perfectionist, want to master refractive surgery while receiving a living wage in NYC, and can retain a positive not defensive or "too-proud" attitude, then this would be a very worthwhile fellowship to consider.