Fellowship in the US that doesnt require the USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunkyR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any clinical fellowships in Radiology where you dont need to do the USMLE?

(Partly because I cant be bothered sitting it as I dont plan to live and practice in the US ;) )

I've heard from previous ppl in Australia that have gone to the US that some institutions dont require you to have it as everything is supervised and double checked anyway.

I've been offered to try to get organised a high field strength MRI spectroscopy *research* fellowship in Boston but looking at my options.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of any clinical fellowships in Radiology where you dont need to do the USMLE?

(Partly because I cant be bothered sitting it as I dont plan to live and practice in the US ;) )

I've heard from previous ppl in Australia that have gone to the US that some institutions dont require you to have it as everything is supervised and double checked anyway.

I've been offered to try to get organised a high field strength MRI spectroscopy *research* fellowship in Boston but looking at my options.

Thanks.

Virtually all radiology fellowships conducted through the match require ECFMG AND all steps of the USMLE for FMGs, but interestingly not for American grads grads. Sorry I don't know much about the non-match fellowshps.

A research fellowship without patient contact (or only incidental contact as the goverment puts it) won't require USMLEs. Any fellowship where you provide any type of medical service (e.g. by dictating reports, even if those are countersigned by the attending), you will have to be at the very least ECFMG certified and typically licensed by the state you are in (typically through a limited or graduate medical education license).

US immigration law also requires you to be ECMFG certified anytime you enter the country 'to provide services as a physician'. If you practice medicine in any sort of capacity and you are not ECFMG certified you commit a deportable offense. Some states will give limited academic licenses to physicians who have suitable foreign credentials (e.g. UK, AU or France). These physicians might be licensed but they are strictly speaking in violation of immigration laws.

Members don't see this ad :)
A research fellowship without patient contact (or only incidental contact as the goverment puts it) won't require USMLEs. Any fellowship where you provide any type of medical service (e.g. by dictating reports, even if those are countersigned by the attending), you will have to be at the very least ECFMG certified and typically licensed by the state you are in (typically through a limited or graduate medical education license).

US immigration law also requires you to be ECMFG certified anytime you enter the country 'to provide services as a physician'. If you practice medicine in any sort of capacity and you are not ECFMG certified you commit a deportable offense. Some states will give limited academic licenses to physicians who have suitable foreign credentials (e.g. UK, AU or France). These physicians might be licensed but they are strictly speaking in violation of immigration laws.

So do u have to sit and pass the USMLE to get a ECMFG?

So do u have to sit and pass the USMLE to get a ECMFG?

Also, ECFMG has to confirm with yur medical school that you actually graduated and that the diploma you submitted is genuine.