Fellowship interview strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medman2737

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance to any help with my question.

I've recently been granted interviews at several fellowships. A couple have designated interview dates for all interviewees, while others have several dates to choose from in July, August, or September. My question is this: Is it more advantageous to interview sooner (and hopefully be extended a fellowship spot) or wait until later, i.e. September, to remain fresh in their recent memories just prior to the selection deadline, with hopes of securing a spot that way?

Any advice/info appreciated!!

-Dr. P

Members don't see this ad.

interview early. Many have rolling admissions whether they say so or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview early. I had an interview set up at a program for the following month. A week before the interview got called and told they were full.

Impress them early and show that you are really excited in THAT program ONLY (at least in their mind).

unless the early spots are places you don't want to go. they may extend you an offer, and the pain world is very small and its very poor form to accept an offer then continue to interview and take a different spot.

unless the early spots are places you don't want to go. they may extend you an offer, and the pain world is very small and its very poor form to accept an offer then continue to interview and take a different spot.

This is what sucks about the pain fellowship process- no Match. So you're saddled with tough decisions about where to interview, and what to do with an early, but less desirable offer. The best places tend to make their offers late too. Remember the advice about what a bird in the hand is worth. Don't be the guy who had offers, but lost 'em all.