fellowship location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanj238

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
in terms of jobs, does fellowship prestige really matter? Or is this really about research and ego?

Members don't see this ad.

in terms of jobs, does fellowship prestige really matter? Or is this really about research and ego?

Safe to say that as long as you are average person, the better the program the better you look. I am sure cleveland clinic and mayo clinic fellows have multiple job offers.

Safe to say that as long as you are average person, the better the program the better you look. I am sure cleveland clinic and mayo clinic fellows have multiple job offers.

no. it's about how marketable you are. I/E what are your cocats levels.

Members don't see this ad :)
no. it's about how marketable you are. I/E what are your cocats levels.

Yeah but in general (of course there are acceptions) these top places will assure you at least level 2 in everything. No?

Yeah but in general (of course there are acceptions) these top places will assure you at least level 2 in everything. No?

Not at all. A lot of top places don't let you get level 2 in more than 1 or 2 areas.

You realize all of this is above my head. I'm a lowly med student. What is cocat. What is level 2 refer to. Is it hard to get a job say with Kaiser or work for say mayo after graduating from a less than sought after location in fellowship even with decent research.

Well it depends. There are "Top programs" that are incredibly research oriented (Hopkins, the brigham) which won't give you level 2 in anything (or only level 2 in a single thing)

The top clinical programs will get you level 2 in almost everything

You realize all of this is above my head. I'm a lowly med student. What is cocat. What is level 2 refer to. Is it hard to get a job say with Kaiser or work for say mayo after graduating from a less than sought after location in fellowship even with decent research.

COCATS= COre CArdiology Training Symposium and is basically the number of procedures and number of months doing a specific task (echos, caths, CTs) you need to be different levels of competent

Level 1 is the baseline level of competence and to sit for the cardiology boards
Level 2 is the level you need to bill at most places
Level 3 is the next level above that

For instance, you need to participate in 100 diagnostic caths and spend 4 months in the cath lab to be COCATS level 1 in cath. You need 300 caths and 8 months in the cath lab to be level 2. You need 550 caths and 20 months to be level 3.

So for echo, cath, CT you need X number of procedures and months doing it to be considered competent

Google is a good place to start.