Fellowship Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katatonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was walking around the Pathology department downstairs from where I work, reading research posters, when I saw an advertisement for a Forensic Pathology Fellowship. It peeked my interest to read since that's what I'm interested in, and at the bottom it said "Salary: $110,000".

I was under the impression this whole time that Fellows make the same amount as Residents (~40k-45k), is this not true? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was walking around the Pathology department downstairs from where I work, reading research posters, when I saw an advertisement for a Forensic Pathology Fellowship. It peeked my interest to read since that's what I'm interested in, and at the bottom it said "Salary: $110,000".

I was under the impression this whole time that Fellows make the same amount as Residents (~40k-45k), is this not true? Thanks.

You have found about the only exception to the rule. Most, if not all, OCMEs are not beholden to an institutional resident/fellow payscale. The only problem is that after you get a job you can't expect to make a whole ton over $110K.

From what I've seen, most programs pay fellows based on what PGY year they're at. The majority of fellows would get paid as a PGY5's. There are certain programs that pay fellows as clinical instructors, so salary may be a significant amount higher.

I've seen the flyers you're talking about. What's odd is that the location isn't listed. If that's what you're interested in, I'd call / email & ask because it's possible they may require a long term commitment from you w/ a minimal increase in pay.

----- Antony

Members don't see this ad :)

this is akin to offering a thirsty man in the desert pond water to drink.

The problem is once he drinks it, all he will ever enjoy is pond water.

out of curiosity, can fellows (e.g. a surgical path fellow) moonlight to make extra income during fellowship? for some reason i find it unlikely

out of curiosity, can fellows (e.g. a surgical path fellow) moonlight to make extra income during fellowship? for some reason i find it unlikely

Depends on the institution and availability of work. The only two moonlighting jobs I've ever heard of in path are autopsies and PA work (grossing biopsies, etc.). I doubt anyone will find a place to sign out a few cases on the side.

I've seen the flyers you're talking about. What's odd is that the location isn't listed.

I haven't seen these, just straight-up forensic fellowship listings with the usual details: come work in Newark for six figures as a fellow! I'd love to, but I'd become a case.

I have heard of people doing locums work or something like that during their vacation time. But that's probably pretty rare.

Let me guess...is that the Cook County program?

Hi:

In many jurisdictions, forensic pathology fellows are considered medical examiners, such as in MA. Therefore, the pay is not necessarily the same PGY scale as other fellowships. It is true, though, that for the 6 figure fellowships, your pay does not increase a huge amount if you are hired on staff at that institution

In Boston, I make $75,000 as a fellow.

That reminds me, I need to attempt to recruit fellows, so see other post.

Mindy

As I understand, many forensic programs can pay their fellows more because they are city or county employees, not hospital employees/residents. The lowest paying forensic fellowships are those connected with a hospital, like UNM. Unfortunately, these are also some of the best programs. FYI, I think Miami pays around $90K.

Thank you for all the responses, I wasn't aware before that Forensic Pathology fellowships got to follow slightly different rules since they're affiliated with the state. That's too bad about the job offers potentially not paying you very much more than your fellowship pay though.

sorry Katatonic for this slight detour...

i realize that forensic pathologists don't make nearly as much money, and that it is government based employment...but, besides sounding like an awesome job, does the low pay at least come with solid benefits?

Most government employees will have solid benefits, I would wager. Who knows if that will change in the future, however, as governments cut out spending for everything except important issues like pet projects, politician salary, politician lifetime benefits, and dinners for lobbyists.

sorry Katatonic for this slight detour...

i realize that forensic pathologists don't make nearly as much money, and that it is government based employment...but, besides sounding like an awesome job, does the low pay at least come with solid benefits?

It's okay, it's a good detour haha. I've read that they get good benefits since it's a state job, but that's only 2nd-hand info.

Our salary range at the OCME is public record.

It is based on "steps" and every year you advance a step, until you reach the top step. Furthermore, our Union argues for cost of living increases for each step as time goes on. There is also a difference between the amount of money you get for a given step if you are board certified or not. There are 8 or so total steps.

Our salary range currently is: $120K to about $211K.

So lets assume (and I do mean assume) that I started out at 120K. Within 8 years, I would be over 200K. And if I happened to start out at a higher step, then I will reach over 200K even quicker. I do not think it is too bad for a job I love doing.

There is of course a full benefits package, which I cannot talk super fluidly about yet, because I really need to learn and understand all of it still. It is different than fellowship somewhat.

Hope this clears some of the issues up.

Mindy

Mindy, you are my hero. thanks for the response.

i dream of being as cool as you someday. :)