Fellowship Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlaw06

Just Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all...

I am so glad that this sub-forum got started, so this way I can lurk around and get some advice from people who are already in the field...

But, I have a VERY STRONG interest in GI not because I wanna deal with [insert poop joke here], but b/c I understand the system so well...the little nuiances you know...there's more to it than just that, but that's not the intention of this thread (ERCPs are so cool)...

Anyways, so I wanted to get your opinions about how to land a decent, respectable GI fellowship...I am not looking for the fellowship @ harvard or UCSF (if I get it, it's graaaavy, but I'm being realistic here), but something that will help me in an academic position down the road teaching at a med school...I know that people always say that I should do a residency @ a University based setting, but I don't have the arsenal to land a top notch residency...I will probably end up at an average University setting AT BEST...In any case, what should I do while at an average university based setting to help my chances at a GI fellowship? I know that people start applying for fellowships as early as internship year, so what can I do in my internship year to help my chances? And what about some University programs (I have heard this about Einstein in NYC) that DO NOT like taking their own for fellowships? Should I rank them high on my list OR rank something like Maimonides (a communiyt hospital w/ GI fellowship) above Einstein?

Applying for residency is hard enough. I am NOT one of those people that has to have a lot of stuff to make me happy while in residency. I am pretty low maintainance and can take a lot of **** from attendings and don't mind being scutted out, AS LONG AS IT GETS ME WHAT I WANT AT THE END! To be honest, (and I said this elsewhere too), I have VERY LITTLE interest in IM residency and will do whatever it takes to get a GI fellowship, even if that means going to a malignant residency. My entire focus on residency is basically how to land a GI fellowship. I am SO envious of you guys who are already in the field, and am looking up to you for advice.

Thanks SO much for all your advice. If this IS a repeat question, I apologize and please let me know where else I should look.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyways, so I wanted to get your opinions about how to land a decent, respectable GI fellowship

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to that yet... ;)
I am applying now for spots in July 2007, so maybe someone out there who already has a spot landed could offer some advice...

medlaw06 said:
hey all...

I am so glad that this sub-forum got started, so this way I can lurk around and get some advice from people who are already in the field...

But, I have a VERY STRONG interest in GI not because I wanna deal with [insert poop joke here], but b/c I understand the system so well...the little nuiances you know...there's more to it than just that, but that's not the intention of this thread (ERCPs are so cool)...

Anyways, so I wanted to get your opinions about how to land a decent, respectable GI fellowship...I am not looking for the fellowship @ harvard or UCSF (if I get it, it's graaaavy, but I'm being realistic here), but something that will help me in an academic position down the road teaching at a med school...I know that people always say that I should do a residency @ a University based setting, but I don't have the arsenal to land a top notch residency...I will probably end up at an average University setting AT BEST...In any case, what should I do while at an average university based setting to help my chances at a GI fellowship? I know that people start applying for fellowships as early as internship year, so what can I do in my internship year to help my chances? And what about some University programs (I have heard this about Einstein in NYC) that DO NOT like taking their own for fellowships? Should I rank them high on my list OR rank something like Maimonides (a communiyt hospital w/ GI fellowship) above Einstein?

Applying for residency is hard enough. I am NOT one of those people that has to have a lot of stuff to make me happy while in residency. I am pretty low maintainance and can take a lot of **** from attendings and don't mind being scutted out, AS LONG AS IT GETS ME WHAT I WANT AT THE END! To be honest, (and I said this elsewhere too), I have VERY LITTLE interest in IM residency and will do whatever it takes to get a GI fellowship, even if that means going to a malignant residency. My entire focus on residency is basically how to land a GI fellowship. I am SO envious of you guys who are already in the field, and am looking up to you for advice.

Thanks SO much for all your advice. If this IS a repeat question, I apologize and please let me know where else I should look.

i have the same dilemma, and a hoping someone could elaborate a little in this forum....

c'mon guys....help us out a little...apparently GI fellows are not the most mentoring kind....