Fellowship Placement

Started by medlaw06
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medlaw06

Just Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey all...

I am so glad that this sub-forum got started, so this way I can lurk around and get some advice from people who are already in the field...

But, I have a VERY STRONG interest in GI not because I wanna deal with [insert poop joke here], but b/c I understand the system so well...the little nuiances you know...there's more to it than just that, but that's not the intention of this thread (ERCPs are so cool)...

Anyways, so I wanted to get your opinions about how to land a decent, respectable GI fellowship...I am not looking for the fellowship @ harvard or UCSF (if I get it, it's graaaavy, but I'm being realistic here), but something that will help me in an academic position down the road teaching at a med school...I know that people always say that I should do a residency @ a University based setting, but I don't have the arsenal to land a top notch residency...I will probably end up at an average University setting AT BEST...In any case, what should I do while at an average university based setting to help my chances at a GI fellowship? I know that people start applying for fellowships as early as internship year, so what can I do in my internship year to help my chances? And what about some University programs (I have heard this about Einstein in NYC) that DO NOT like taking their own for fellowships? Should I rank them high on my list OR rank something like Maimonides (a communiyt hospital w/ GI fellowship) above Einstein?

Applying for residency is hard enough. I am NOT one of those people that has to have a lot of stuff to make me happy while in residency. I am pretty low maintainance and can take a lot of **** from attendings and don't mind being scutted out, AS LONG AS IT GETS ME WHAT I WANT AT THE END! To be honest, (and I said this elsewhere too), I have VERY LITTLE interest in IM residency and will do whatever it takes to get a GI fellowship, even if that means going to a malignant residency. My entire focus on residency is basically how to land a GI fellowship. I am SO envious of you guys who are already in the field, and am looking up to you for advice.

Thanks SO much for all your advice. If this IS a repeat question, I apologize and please let me know where else I should look.
 
Anyways, so I wanted to get your opinions about how to land a decent, respectable GI fellowship

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to that yet... 😉
I am applying now for spots in July 2007, so maybe someone out there who already has a spot landed could offer some advice...
 
medlaw06 said:
hey all...

I am so glad that this sub-forum got started, so this way I can lurk around and get some advice from people who are already in the field...

But, I have a VERY STRONG interest in GI not because I wanna deal with [insert poop joke here], but b/c I understand the system so well...the little nuiances you know...there's more to it than just that, but that's not the intention of this thread (ERCPs are so cool)...

Anyways, so I wanted to get your opinions about how to land a decent, respectable GI fellowship...I am not looking for the fellowship @ harvard or UCSF (if I get it, it's graaaavy, but I'm being realistic here), but something that will help me in an academic position down the road teaching at a med school...I know that people always say that I should do a residency @ a University based setting, but I don't have the arsenal to land a top notch residency...I will probably end up at an average University setting AT BEST...In any case, what should I do while at an average university based setting to help my chances at a GI fellowship? I know that people start applying for fellowships as early as internship year, so what can I do in my internship year to help my chances? And what about some University programs (I have heard this about Einstein in NYC) that DO NOT like taking their own for fellowships? Should I rank them high on my list OR rank something like Maimonides (a communiyt hospital w/ GI fellowship) above Einstein?

Applying for residency is hard enough. I am NOT one of those people that has to have a lot of stuff to make me happy while in residency. I am pretty low maintainance and can take a lot of **** from attendings and don't mind being scutted out, AS LONG AS IT GETS ME WHAT I WANT AT THE END! To be honest, (and I said this elsewhere too), I have VERY LITTLE interest in IM residency and will do whatever it takes to get a GI fellowship, even if that means going to a malignant residency. My entire focus on residency is basically how to land a GI fellowship. I am SO envious of you guys who are already in the field, and am looking up to you for advice.

Thanks SO much for all your advice. If this IS a repeat question, I apologize and please let me know where else I should look.


i have the same dilemma, and a hoping someone could elaborate a little in this forum....

c'mon guys....help us out a little...apparently GI fellows are not the most mentoring kind....