Fellowship Trade/Swap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JesterJames

Reaction score
Went over the list of places I applied with my significant other. At the time of interviewing, and ranking, my SO agreed with my programs and the way we ranked. I ended up matching far away from where we currently live.

SO is just devastated about the move. We've had a week now to let it set in and still not much improvement.

Does anyone know if it is possible to trade/swap fellowship positions with another fellow before the start of fellowship? Is that sort of thing ever done? If so, what sort of steps are involved?

I would be willing to trade 'down' to a less prestigious program.

Members don't see this ad.

Went over the list of places I applied with my significant other. At the time of interviewing, and ranking, my SO agreed with my programs and the way we ranked. I ended up matching far away from where we currently live.

SO is just devastated about the move. We've had a week now to let it set in and still not much improvement.

Does anyone know if it is possible to trade/swap fellowship positions with another fellow before the start of fellowship? Is that sort of thing ever done? If so, what sort of steps are involved?

ya...not going to happen. My advice is to work through it with your SO and realize this is temporary and while 3 years sounds long it goes by so fast

Reactions: 1 user
Consider the following thought exercise:

1) More prestigious program - SO sucks it up for three years, and afterwards you get a job in a desirable region of the country, and boost your career.

2) Less prestigious program - Somewhat nicer region for fellowship, but you get no good job offers after fellowship, end up going to region from #1 for a job you're not crazy about, in a specialty you didn't want.

The name brand of fellowship matters when you go out for jobs. SO needs to get over it and understand that you can watch netflix and HBO from anywhere in the country. The most important thing is that you're together. If he/she doesn't see it that way, then maybe there's a longer conversation that needs to be had.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! If anyone hears of an opening or knows of someone who matched to a program on the east coast they want to swap out of please send me a DM.

This is a pretty common sentiment after the Match. A little more so in the Fellowship Match than Residency because, at least at this point, you know you can walk away from your Match and still get a job in medicine.

I'll refer you to my comment in a similar thread in the Cards subforum though since it is relevant here.

Bumping this now to see if there is anyone actively looking for a trade. COVID-19 has certainly shaken things up a bit. Would ideally be looking for a trade east. Feel free to DM.

I think it would help us (and you) if you gave us more specifics. Which program are you at? Or at least which region?