fellowships and dean's letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheruka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, does the dean rewrite the Dean's letter for fellowships or is it the same one we used for residency match?

Members don't see this ad.

Same one. We just use it to get a handle on how you compared to the rest of your class.

I always send the same Q to sdn and my school. Guess who always gives me a quick answer?
gutonc, thank you, I appreciate it very much.

Sorry to jack the thread, but I guess OP's question was answered.

Gutonc,

For something like Primary Care Sports Med Fellowships, how important are things like:
1. IMG/AMG Status
2. USMLE Scores
(and are there any other criteria used, not sure if there are any).

Gutonc,

For something like Primary Care Sports Med Fellowships, how important are things like:
1. IMG/AMG Status
2. USMLE Scores

I have no idea. I don't interview applicants for that fellowship and haven't ever actually met anyone who did it.

Same one. We just use it to get a handle on how you compared to the rest of your class.
So it won't have an update with whatever crappy comment I might have gotten on my April Surgery SubI that I had to take to graduate?

Good to know. Hopefully I didn't end up working too hard on it then.

So it won't have an update with whatever crappy comment I might have gotten on my April Surgery SubI that I had to take to graduate?

Good to know. Hopefully I didn't end up working too hard on it then.

Look...schools can barely get people to write the stupid "Dean's Letter" once (raise your hand if the Dean actually wrote it at your school...anybody...anybody?). The idea of them going back and updating it is laughable.

Look...schools can barely get people to write the stupid "Dean's Letter" once (raise your hand if the Dean actually wrote it at your school...anybody...anybody?). The idea of them going back and updating it is laughable.

My Dean wrote all of ours on parchment with a quill pen.

Reactions: 1 user

Gutonc,

1. IMG/AMG Status
2. USMLE Scores

Incoming Primary Sports Med Fellow here to shed light on this:
1/2. It really doesn't matter. For sports med it's about how you are as a resident, as well as what have you done in the world of sports medicine? Cover games? Do Pre-participation exams? Have you covered a mass event like a marathon/triathlon? Research? Honestly if you have only done the minimum that's required of you as a resident (aka FM curriculum only requires 2 weeks of it), then you are no different than any other resident out there. Make yourself stand out!

Starting this year Sports Med is moving to ERAS, so while we have our own match day in January, the application cycle actually opens up in July like the medicine sub-specialties.

AMSSM has an excellent road-map to a sports medicine fellowship that would help during your residency, but feel free to PM me for any more questions.

My school wrote back and said they DO include evaluation comments and grades from the fourth yr rotations. Just FYI.

My school wrote back and said they DO include evaluation comments and grades from the fourth yr rotations. Just FYI.

That's not the question that was asked. The question was, "once the MSPE is written, do they go back and revise it for rotations done after it was written?", to which the answer remains "are you high?".

Of course anything that is completed prior to the MSPE being written is fair game for evaluation...assuming otherwise is stupid.