fellowships before cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any fellowships one can do to make them more competitive for cards fellowship? I've heard of echo reading fellowships - but then I always thought this was for people who already finished a card fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Some programs used to offer a heart failure fellowship separate of cardiology, although I'm not sure if they still exist. Doing a high quality research "fellowship" would also make someone more competitive. I've also seen a lot of people do a year of hospitalist before fellowship, and it seems to boost their CV since it gives them additional clinical experience.

Another option is to do a year as chief resident, which looks really good on your CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
so is there any echo/htn/chf fellowships out there before cardiology fellowship??????????
can i get link of hospitals which provide the same

HF fellowships still exist (those that don't require you to have completed a cardiology fellowship 1st). Check the ACC website.

so is there any echo/htn/chf fellowships out there before cardiology fellowship??????????
can i get link of hospitals which provide the same

There is one at Case Western, Cleveland & at Beth Israel, NY that I know of. Better still, email all the programs & ask them. You can get the email addresses from the FREIDA website.

Yes, they are still out there.
I 2nd the advice above...about ACC web site, and also about potentially cold-contacting the program directors at various fellowship programs. A sincere, short/to the point polite email would not be out of line. It won't hurt to ask and you never know what might turn up.

For heart failure, it looks like it's going to be an ABIM accredited fellowship. This means that you have to have finished cardiology first.

As for Echo, UCSF, UAB, and MGH have spots. It's either a one or a two year program. I don't know how helpful it will be in helping you match for cardiology. From experience and asking other people around, doing a chief year or a research fellowship are better ideas. But I can be wrong.