Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geek666

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how does one make oneself competitive for fellowships (i.e. what factors go towards making one a competitive candidate)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Have a pulse.

Dr. WJ, the ex-chairman of UTSW, over the protest of the faculty, staff and residents opened many new and expanded the existing fellowships at U. Texas Southwestern. This had significantly diluted the quality of the educational opportunities available for residents at U. Texas Southwestern. Dr. WJ seemed to believe that every resident should do a fellowship and sought to water down the educational offering for resident so that a fellowship would be required after completing a residency at U. Texas Southwestern. There are now plenty fellowships or (CA4 positions) available at U. Texas Southwestern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. WJ, the ex-chairman of UTSW, over the protest of the faculty, staff and residents opened many new and expanded the existing fellowships at U. Texas Southwestern. This had significantly diluted the quality of the educational opportunities available for residents at U. Texas Southwestern. Dr. WJ seemed to believe that every resident should do a fellowship and sought to water down the educational offering for resident so that a fellowship would be required after completing a residency at U. Texas Southwestern. There are now plenty fellowships or (CA4 positions) available at U. Texas Southwestern.

Ex-chairman.

Have a pulse.

I respect UT's opinion. but his statement is not quite true ANY LONGER for competitive fellowships.

If you want to do peds at boston children's or chop, pain at the brigham or stanford, cardiac at emory or the clinic - you better have more than a pulse. In addition to letters of rec and interviews, and completely contrary to what some here have said in the past, some fellowship programs even like to see your most recent in training exam scores. :eek:

And some fellowship programs start taking people pretty darn early. There is a more competitive group of residents in training now than there was 5 or 6 years ago. This seems to matter.

good luck...:thumbup:

Just out of curiosity, how does one make oneself competitive for fellowships (i.e. what factors go towards making one a competitive candidate)?

Thanks

The same way you make yourself competitive for EVERYTHING else.

Be the BEST as measured by whatever indicators you want to use:

1) standardized tests
2) co-worker evals
3) supervisor evals
4) nursing evals

pretty much the 360 eval.

Anyone here saying 'you do not need a pulse' to be competitive a Fellowship?

I respect UT's opinion. but his statement is not quite true ANY LONGER for competitive fellowships.

If you want to do peds at boston children's or chop, pain at the brigham or stanford, cardiac at emory or the clinic - you better have more than a pulse. In addition to letters of rec and interviews, and completely contrary to what some here have said in the past, some fellowship programs even like to see your most recent in training exam scores. :eek:

And some fellowship programs start taking people pretty darn early. There is a more competitive group of residents in training now than there was 5 or 6 years ago. This seems to matter.

good luck...:thumbup:

He didn't say competitive fellowship, just fellowship. The competitive programs as well as desirable locations are becoming a little more finicky, but the others are still out there.

UT,
what is your thought on doing a peds fellowship if you are not 100% certain what you want to do after fellowship?

SF

UT,
what is your thought on doing a peds fellowship if you are not 100% certain what you want to do after fellowship?

SF

I think it is a great choice because it gives you a very unique set of skills and understanding. Just make sure you go to a pedi fellowship that gives you the full breadth and depth of pedi anesthesia including PICU, pedi hearts (at least some experience), pedi transplant, and high volume.

I think it is a great choice because it gives you a very unique set of skills and understanding. Just make sure you go to a pedi fellowship that gives you the full breadth and depth of pedi anesthesia including PICU, pedi hearts (at least some experience), pedi transplant, and high volume.

this is great advice, especially about variety of cases. we all learn to give anesthesia to kids during residency. but, i still would not feel comfortable as a soon-to-be attending giving anesthesia to a truly sick neonate with multiple anatomic problems by myself. that's what a peds fellowship gives you. and, you are likely going to be relegated to an academic practice where a lot of such cases occur when you're done (most of these types of cases are done at academic centers).

if that's not in your future, then you may want to re-evaluate the necessity of doing a peds fellowship. if, however, you love kids and have your heart set on doing primarily child cases, then go for it! working with children can be very rewarding... if you have the patience to deal with the parents, that is.

Any opinions as to which setting would be better for a ccm fellowship? I was looking at pittsburgh, UCSF and noticed theirs is multidisciplinary vs places like columbia where it is more anesthesia run.

Any value as to choosing one approach over the other?

gimmie a cordis, swan, tee, a-line/s, phat piv, dlt, patient, narcotic, volatile, +/- neuraxialish thingy, and a party hat.

or maybe just an insulated peripheral nerve catheter needle 5 fentanyl/5 versed and a party hat.