MD Felony Marijuana Charge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellowmartian721

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

3 years ago I was charged with marijuana possession with intent to sell. I entered a pre-trial intervention program with the state, completed the program, and all charges were dropped. Thus, I was never convicted of a crime, but the charges will show up on a background check. I am eligible to have my record expunged, but have not yet done so.

To be clear, the charges are very much so legitimate. I was selling weed, and I got caught.

I have applied to a few schools that did not ask about anything but convictions on their secondaries, and have just recently interviewed at one. I fear if I were to get accepted, that acceptance would be revoked after the background check.

I have a 518 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, and extensive extracurriculars.

Has anyone heard of someone in a situation similar to mine, where acceptance was revoked because of a background check? Or where someone was admitted despite the charges?

I'm looking for stories more so than advice. I understand I'm probably done for, but I feel that I can make a strong case of having turned my life around after the incident.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately it wouldn't make a difference for this application cycle because of how long it takes to have the record expunged (6-9mo). I have already begun the process, but for the purpose of this timeline it won't help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Expunge it. With the felony on your record, you're doomed. If you haven't been rejected by the time your expungement is finished, update the schools. Your state schools might see a stellar applicant that screwed up and offer him a shot at redemption, but only with an expungement in hand. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the replies. As an update, I have retained a lawyer for expungement.

Reactions: 1 user
Interested in this story because I have nearly the same exact stats as you do, OP. I'm curious as to how your cycle turns out.

Also, did you have your picture taken when charged? And what state are you a resident of (as the laws may vary from state to state)?

You're f*cked. Even if you get it expunged, get accepted and somehow make it through school without them finding out, it will still show up when you apply for a medical and DEA license. Felony drug charge on record = no license.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're f*cked. Even if you get it expunged, get accepted and somehow make it through school without them finding out, it will still show up when you apply for a medical and DEA license. Felony drug charge on record = no license.

What are you basing this on?

Reactions: 1 user