Marijuana Institutional Action and Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The SMP Will:

• Help him get American DO

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Help him get Carribean MD

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Phillias

Reaction score
Hello,

My friend has an interesting case here. I’m just gonna give you the straight up facts (good,bad, ugly) he would like to share...and we’d like some input from this site on how best to get to medical school.

GPA: 2.6

MCAT: Let’s assume he gets 510 to put a number.

Race: Hispanic

Extracurriculars: Scribe, volunteering, no research, no club e-boards, special olympics volunteer, Shadowing. Hours are unspecified.

History/Red Flags we are concerned about (in order of concern)
  1. Low GPA, no trend of note.
  2. Institutional Action: Student was caught the less than 10g of marijuana in school. Noted on transcript. No criminal charges. No formal arrest.
  3. Criminal History: Minor in Possession of alcohol. Misdemeanor. 4+ years ago. Charges dismissed. Expungement status unspecified.
  4. Academic Record: Student had to take General Chemistry 2, 4 times to pass it. Passed with C or B.

His goals: He wants MD. He does care if it’s American or Caribbean. He prefers Caribbean MD over American DO (although I’m sure this is gonna change because... well c’mon lol). He has particular interest in medical schools in Puerto Rico becuase it is a US territory.. does that even matter?

Our main questions:

1. Can he get into SMP (Master’s) with assuming 2.6/510 MCAT? Can he get into any sort of program that will make up for that GPA. He has time to bring it to a 2.8.
  2. Should going well in an SMP give him a shot at American DO? What about Caribbean MD?
  3. What would be his best path forward. Note: we are not going to get him to change his mind about pursuing medicine.
We would really appreciate honesty.

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

1. Can he get into SMP (Master’s) with assuming 2.6/510 MCAT? Can he get into any sort of program that will make up for that GPA. He has time to bring it to a 2.8.
Yes,, if he shops around

1. Should going well in an SMP give him a shot at American DO? What about Caribbean md?
For DO and some M.D., yes, especially if he does well on MCAT.

Carib will take him now as long as he is breathing and can write a tuition check. But at risk students like him are their business model, he has less than a 25% chance of ever being a doctor.

1. What would be his best path forward. Note: we are not going to get him to change his mind about pursuing medicine.
Have him read my guide to premed reinvention

With a 2.6, criminal history, and no current MCAT score, I would tel him to re-evaluate his entire application and decide if this path is really for him and also if he things he could handle the rigors of a medical education. This is a tough road and a 2.6 makes he doubt if he can hack it. There are many other noble professions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise 2 years of a 3.8-4.0 before he ever tries to take the MCAT. Even with a good MCAT he has about 0 chance with a 2.6.

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise them to stop pretending to be their friend online, stop the substance use, and study more

Don’t go carribean. If you cannot get in a US school find a different career

Reactions: 2 users
I have long since ceased speculating upon a speculation!
When we have an MCAT and the other relevant facts (language skills, evidence of commitment to service, state of residence...) we can be of greater help.

The schools in Puerto Rico are LCME accredited, US MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Choose DO over Caribbean MD. Do a postbac/SMP and apply only to HBCU's and DOs