Female DO student considering ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharksRfriends

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there. I hope this is an appropriate place to post my questions. I'm a 3rd year DO student who has just discovered a love for orthopedic surgery. I'm doing an ortho trauma rotation right now and I love it. I honestly had no idea I was interested in surgery at all and I'm really surprised by how much I love this. I actually didn't even know this rotation was going to be ortho ... I was told it was straight up trauma.

I started 3rd year thinking I wanted to do EM or neurology, loved my first rotation (internal medicine), but I have very little interest in outpatient medicine and don't care at all about long term patient continuity. I didn't think I cared about having a procedural aspect to what I do, but now that I've done ortho, I see that I could never do a specialty that doesn't involve procedures. However, I do wonder if I'd miss the more general aspect of medicine (managing diverse medical complications).

I'm certainly not saying I'm set on this choice, but I have my concerns about my ability to pursue this specialty.
First off: I'm female. I've always kind of been the kind of girl who hangs out mostly with guys and likes to watch/play sports, etc. So the lack of women in the field doesn't bother me and I'm not intimidated by this male-dominated specialty. But I know that as a woman, my chances might not be as good. I also do have to admit that I would like to have a baby sometime in residency, and I can only imagine how that would go over in the ortho world.
Secondly, I didn't do that awesome in anatomy. I actually did great in the written component of the course, but I bombed a practical or two, which really dropped my grade in the class (still got a B). I loved the musculoskeletal stuff but wasn't especially interested in going into the lab to study the organ system anatomy. It's my own fault that I didn't do well enough in the class, but I didn't put forth the effort in the lab component because I HATED the cadavers.
However, I scored a 250 on USMLE step 1 (yeah, I know I shouldn't even bother with allopathic) and 660 on COMLEX 1 and I'm in the top 10% of my class. I didn't get anything lower than a 94% in my second year courses despite being an A/B student 1st year.
But, while I think I'm doing well on this rotation, I don't think I'll be able to get a LOR from it because my attending is only there 1 day a week and doesn't do surgery. I have no idea why he takes students, but I'm actually just paired up with 2 residents and go to whatever cases they do with various attendings. So, I've not had enough contact with him to warrant an LOR, which is unfortunate because he's a former program director of a top allopathic ortho program. I know the residents I'm with like me and I get along with them swimmingly. They've told me they appreciate my enthusiasm for the specialty and my willingness to work hard. But I don't think they can write letters, right? I haven't had enough interaction with any one attending to be comfortable with asking for a letter, either.
I also didn't get honors in my gen surg rotation because I unfortunately got paired up with a terrible preceptor who only takes students because he gets paid. He just marks "pass" across the board for all students and puts no comments on the eval. Of course, I didn't know that ahead of time. When this month is over, I will not have the opportunity to do another even semi-surgical specialty until ob/gyn in June.

Mainly, my questions are regarding how to best increase my chances of getting a residency, how to know for sure that this is what I want to do, how to get past not having a LOR from this attending, and how much does the anatomy grade hurt me? How essential would away rotations be for me?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello there. I hope this is an appropriate place to post my questions. I'm a 3rd year DO student who has just discovered a love for orthopedic surgery. I'm doing an ortho trauma rotation right now and I love it. I honestly had no idea I was interested in surgery at all and I'm really surprised by how much I love this. I actually didn't even know this rotation was going to be ortho ... I was told it was straight up trauma.

I started 3rd year thinking I wanted to do EM or neurology, loved my first rotation (internal medicine), but I have very little interest in outpatient medicine and don't care at all about long term patient continuity. I didn't think I cared about having a procedural aspect to what I do, but now that I've done ortho, I see that I could never do a specialty that doesn't involve procedures. However, I do wonder if I'd miss the more general aspect of medicine (managing diverse medical complications).

I'm certainly not saying I'm set on this choice, but I have my concerns about my ability to pursue this specialty.
First off: I'm female. I've always kind of been the kind of girl who hangs out mostly with guys and likes to watch/play sports, etc. So the lack of women in the field doesn't bother me and I'm not intimidated by this male-dominated specialty. But I know that as a woman, my chances might not be as good. I also do have to admit that I would like to have a baby sometime in residency, and I can only imagine how that would go over in the ortho world. Not to mention that I wouldn't be able to do half the surgeries since there's plenty of radiation exposure.
Secondly, I didn't do that awesome in anatomy. I actually did great in the written component of the course, but I bombed a practical or two, which really dropped my grade in the class (still got a B). I loved the musculoskeletal stuff but wasn't especially interested in going into the lab to study the organ system anatomy. It's my own fault that I didn't do well enough in the class, but I didn't put forth the effort in the lab component because I HATED the cadavers.
However, I scored a 250 on USMLE step 1 (yeah, I know I shouldn't even bother with allopathic) and 660 on COMLEX 1 and I'm in the top 10% of my class. I didn't get anything lower than a 94% in my second year courses despite being an A/B student 1st year.
But, while I think I'm doing well on this rotation, I don't think I'll be able to get a LOR from it because my attending is only there 1 day a week and doesn't do surgery. I have no idea why he takes students, but I'm actually just paired up with 2 residents and go to whatever cases they do with various attendings. So, I've not had enough contact with him to warrant an LOR, which is unfortunate because he's a former program director of a top allopathic ortho program. I know the residents I'm with like me and I get along with them swimmingly. They've told me they appreciate my enthusiasm for the specialty and my willingness to work hard. But I don't think they can write letters, right? I haven't had enough interaction with any one attending to be comfortable with asking for a letter, either.
I also didn't get honors in my gen surg rotation because I unfortunately got paired up with a terrible preceptor who only takes students because he gets paid. He just marks "pass" across the board for all students and puts no comments on the eval. Of course, I didn't know that ahead of time. When this month is over, I will not have the opportunity to do another even semi-surgical specialty until ob/gyn in June.

Mainly, my questions are regarding how to best increase my chances of getting a residency, how to know for sure that this is what I want to do, how to get past not having a LOR from this attending, and how much does the anatomy grade hurt me? How essential would away rotations be for me?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

you have great grades and board scores for DO ortho, just make sure you know the programs that will never take females and rotate accordingly, you will surely get a spot somewhere. And yeah, being pregnant in residency won't go well with ortho guys, they work hard and are always helping each other out, you will be looked at as a liability.
In DO world, rotating is the key, set them up early and make sure you research it well as to what programs are open to taking female residents. You will get a few interviews at places you didn't rotate at based off of your score, but your chances of getting in at those places are miniscule. If you have any specific questions, PM me.

Oh and your rotation evals and LORs don't matter IMO, its about how you did on your rotation, if you did well, and you had better board scores than others who also killed the rotation, you'll be golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say you will surely match but there is a chance. There are a couple strong female residents out there. Most programs either don't take women or don't really like to so you have to be better than everyone else. I'm not discouraging but rather encouraging you to be good, you have to give them no reason not to take you. If you do this you won't be denied.

Take your comlex 2 early and kill it. You don't want to have to worry about it during auditions, and if you take it after application season they may not rank you as high (rank lists are formed early on in osteo ortho programs). Having a high score early will give you a leg up over students who choose to wait and take it later. It can be considered risky for someone like you with a high level 1 score (mine is similar and I was very scared to take it early), but if you do well it will set you apart. I was very glad that I took it early (mid-June).

Ask for a LOR regardless of whether you think he will write one or not!!
a) You have nothing to lose by asking
b)You can tell the attending which residents you worked with if he wants more info about your performance
c)You have nothing to lose by asking!! For all you know he will write you a great letter!

PM me if you want some tips on how to study for level 2.