Female Reproductive System??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have this in my note, but confused.

LH stimulates release of estradiol, estradiol inhibits LH secretion from anterior pituitary.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEFORE ovulation, estradiol increases, which increases LH ; This is the luteal Stage. Results in positive feedback of rising estrogen levels which increase LH.

So on the top it says estradiol inhibits LH, the bottom part it exhibits positive feedback, is this the exception when talking about the luteal stage?

So I should know that the luteal stage; estradiol exhibits a positive feedback in LH, while ordinarily not regarding the luteal stage it inhibits LH?

Members don't see this ad.

I have this in my note, but confused.

LH stimulates release of estradiol, estradiol inhibits LH secretion from anterior pituitary.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEFORE ovulation, estradiol increases, which increases LH ; This is the luteal Stage. Results in positive feedback of rising estrogen levels which increase LH.

So on the top it says estradiol inhibits LH, the bottom part it exhibits positive feedback, is this the exception when talking about the luteal stage?

So I should know that the luteal stage; estradiol exhibits a positive feedback in LH, while ordinarily not regarding the luteal stage it inhibits LH?

Yes, the luteal surge is an exception to the estrogen-LH relationship. Keep in mind that estrogen normally inhibits LH secretion, but not LH production. The reason why there is an LH surge is because LH is being produced normally, but not secreted, so when it finally gets released from the adenohypophysis it does so in a very large quantity.

When there is a lot of estrogen then positive feedback occurs leading to an LH surge. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how this was explaining in my physio course.

Yes, the luteal surge is an exception to the estrogen-LH relationship. Keep in mind that estrogen normally inhibits LH secretion, but not LH production. The reason why there is an LH surge is because LH is being produced normally, but not secreted, so when it finally gets released from the adenohypophysis it does so in a very large quantity.

thanks bruh

When there is a lot of estrogen then positive feedback occurs leading to an LH surge. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how this was explaining in my physio course.

i believe after ovulation estradiol inhibits LH, but before ovulation estradiol causes a positive feedback of LH which during this it's called the Luteal Stage.