what is reproductive memory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I GET BUCKETS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came upon this word while taking the AAMC fl 3 and I have searched online but the definitions don't make sense to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reproductive memory refers to remembering something exactly. But I don't think this view is accepted in psychology because that's not how memory processing works.

Wikipedia says the following: Reconstructive memory - Wikipedia

"Frederic Bartlett originally tested his idea of the reconstructive nature of recall by presenting a group of participants with foreign folk tales (his most famous being "War of the Ghosts") with which they had no previous experience. After presenting the story, he tested their ability to recall and summarize the stories at various points after presentation to newer generations of participants. His findings showed that the participants could provide a simple summary but had difficulty recalling the story accurately, with the participants' own account generally being shorter and manipulated in such a way that aspects of the original story that were unfamiliar or conflicting to the participants' own schematic knowledge were removed or altered in a way to fit into more personally relevant versions. For instance, allusions made to magic and Native American mysticism that were in the original version were omitted as they failed to fit into the average Westerner schematic network. In addition, after several recounts of the story had been made by successive generations of participants, certain aspects of the recalled tale were embellished so they were more consistent with the participants' cultural and historical viewpoint compared to the original text (e.g. Emphasis placed on one of the characters desire to return to care for his dependent elderly mother).

These findings lead Bartlett to conclude that recall is predominately a reconstructive rather than reproductive process."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user