females in anesthesia? holla

Started by danip
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

danip

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering where are all the females in anesthesia.
are there any females out there considering going into it? so if you're a female in gas or thinking of gas holla
 
danip - i'm planning on going into gas. i'm from azcom '06. I was reading on the ASA website that even though women make up 1/2 of medical school students these days - women make up only about 1/4 of gas residents. I'm in New Orleans doing rotations - anyone else in these parts?
 
it's half-way into 3rd year, and so far anesthesiology tops my list
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
danip said:
I was just wondering where are all the females in anesthesia.
are there any females out there considering going into it? so if you're a female in gas or thinking of gas holla

The females in anesthesia are usually CRNAs.
 
ultraconsrvativ said:
The females in anesthesia are usually CRNAs.

Is it your deep hidden wish? :laugh:

Only at this forum I have seen at least 5 representatives from the better half of the humankind ... and many many more I've met at my interview trail 🙂
 
so what's the deal with crna's. what do the anesthesiologists do if they are there? do anesthesiologists get pd less cz there are crna's ard. i remember hearing afew yrs ago that crna's made a lot of money
 
I am a female applying for gas right now...and proud of it...I can't wait. What an exciting field!
 
chicamedica said:
I am female and thinking of gas

Same here. 🙂 I was leaning towards peds once medicine got eliminated, but I've been thinking more and more about anesthesia. I have a week (as part of my surgery rotation) coming up this month and am definitely hoping it'll help me decide...
 
I am a 4th year going for gas and I think you should seriously consider gas.
A lot of people transfer into gas from other specialties, but rarely does anyone leave gas. It has high satisfaction rates. it is about 25-30% women, but there are a number of women chairs and women PD. It is an awesome field that I hope to match into. Certain programs have more women than others. BWH has about 40-50% women in their program. Who cares anyway, gas is not the type of field where you would feel intimidated by anyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jetmetnet said:
Who cares anyway, gas is not the type of field where you would feel intimidated by anyone.

GREAT POINT!!
One of the reasons I love this field!


jetmetnet said:
Certain programs have more women than others. BWH has about 40-50% women in their program. .

Hmm, nice to hear this. . .but what do u think of the recent allegations made by some of the female attendings at BWH? Someone posted the article on this forum recently. . .Was that stuff taken out of context?
 
I can tell you from doing an away elective, that I was amazed at the number of women there and it is such a warm and friendly program. They have a new chairman who would not stand for that type of atmosphere. i think that BWH is getting a bad rap because I think that atmosphere might be at other programs, but it is considered the norm at certain programs. I never considered Boston that much, but that has changed since my rotation. I do not know about the hiring of attendings, but I do know that one of the chief residents is a black female.